Flood

hutten

Hello friends,

If only we could stop the DLS being flooded with nonsense routes from people who (probably) want to see their name in lights...
At first it was only 3.8 but now it is 5.1 as well.
To me it is spam, but I may be wrong and even more wrong to complain about it... I must admit that I am curious to know what you think about it.

Have fun trainzing!

Paul

This has been a topic of posts since the forums started. My very first uploaded route is, now 20 years later, an embarrassment to me but it was my first attempt. For that reason I am not in the habit of judging or misjudging the efforts of others.

Having said that there are some simple rules that I apply when it comes to deciding if a new route on the DLS is a serious attempt or not.

• Does it have an informative name?
  • Does it have a useful description?
  • Does it have an actual thumbnail (not a text graphics along the lines of "This is a Thumbnail")?
  • Does the thumbnail show actual scenery from the route (and not just the grid lines)?

If the answer is NO to the majority of the above then I do not download. If it is NO to only one then I apply a further deciding test.

• Is the route of interest to me? (which can give a NO answer if the description question fails the test).

My thoughts.

3.8 I can understand as that is usually ipad and Android routes and probably as they don't have much storage people using the DLS incorrectly as a file store, may not even be aware in some cases that anyone else can see them and in other cases probably youngsters and yes they are very annoying and IMO should have had their own DLS.

5.1 however is TRS22 which is proper Trainz unless N3V have slipped up and used the same build number for TRS22 and the gadget versions.

Hello.

pware, I fully agree with you. I do the same, look at the description and thumbnail. So it does not pose a problem. As I said, I am curious to hear opinions.
But I think that it has little to do with being a beginner. Your own earlier results may look "an embarrassment", but they were serious attempts. They were not just a circle or a 100% slope or just something to see trains collide. And the latter are not attempts meant to be seriously looked at by anyone else but the creator, in my opinion. All that may be a result of the smartphone craze, it is just too easy to share everything with the whole world.
Definitely, N3V wants to keep those people in the boat...

Regards,
Paul

In CM I make heavy use of the "Minimum build version" when viewing Routes excluding anything but Tane, '19, and '22 since I only have those versons. You don't have to view all that stuff. On the Download Station you can use Advanced Search.

But you are correct. DLS shouldn't be flooded as it is nor should it be used as "cloud" storage.

These look like mobile routes. The glamorous names with little substance other than a baseboard and a piece of track says it all. Why does that have to have the same build version is beyond me with the desktop versions.

Back