Raise/Lower Pantograph Trigger

Hello,

I would like to use EMUs with batteries on my network. Basically they use a pantograph on the electrified sections and the batteries on the non-electrified sections.

What I would like is that on the non-electrified sections the pantograph remains folded since it is useless. Unfortunately, as soon as the train starts the pantograph unfolds.

On the advice of EuroModeller I tried this trigger: <kuid2:75134:77005:1> Pantograph trigger . Unfortunately it doesn't work in AI, or at least I couldn't get it to work. The pantograph starts to fold up and then immediately pops back up.

Do you have any idea how to achieve this result?

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

Hello Whitepass and thank for your reply.

Yes, the pantograph goes up and down in driver mode but I would do the same in AI mode.

Michel

Hello,

I would like to use EMUs with batteries on my network. Basically they use a pantograph on the electrified sections and the batteries on the non-electrified sections.

What I would like is that on the non-electrified sections the pantograph remains folded since it is useless. Unfortunately, as soon as the train starts the pantograph unfolds.

On the advice of EuroModeller I tried this trigger: <kuid2:75134:77005:1> Pantograph trigger . Unfortunately it doesn't work in AI, or at least I couldn't get it to work. The pantograph starts to fold up and then immediately pops back up.

Do you have any idea how to achieve this result?

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

Visually, this is similar to electrified railroads that have third-rail in some sections and overhead catenary in others. My solution is to script the pantographs (instead of letting the game control them). I can then make position 0 = down (normal), 1= aft panto for direction of travel, 2= front panto for direction of travel, and 3=third rail (sparks appear at the contact shoes). There are variations. See, for example

https://jatwsorg.mywhc.ca/PWeiser/zipfiles/TriPwr1.zip

which is a hybrid that runs on batteries (with an oil-electric charger) or overhead.

Once you have your locomotive set up as desired, look at the trigger script. It probably just sets pantograph state for the train to either 1 or 0, for Up or Down. If you've set up your locomotive so 3 = down but running on batteries, you just need the trigger to set to 1 or 3.

Hope that helps! Note that under some circumstances (at least in legacy versions) setting pantos to 0 will stop the train, and in others if you do this while it's running the AI will immediately raise them again. It's good to avoid 0 unless the train is parked. ;)

Visually, this is similar to electrified railroads that have third-rail in some sections and overhead catenary in others. My solution is to script the pantographs (instead of letting the game control them). I can then make position 0 = down (normal), 1= aft panto for direction of travel, 2= front panto for direction of travel, and 3=third rail (sparks appear at the contact shoes). There are variations. See, for example

https://jatwsorg.mywhc.ca/PWeiser/zipfiles/TriPwr1.zip

which is a hybrid that runs on batteries (with an oil-electric charger) or overhead.

Once you have your locomotive set up as desired, look at the trigger script. It probably just sets pantograph state for the train to either 1 or 0, for Up or Down. If you've set up your locomotive so 3 = down but running on batteries, you just need the trigger to set to 1 or 3.

Hope that helps! Note that under some circumstances (at least in legacy versions) setting pantos to 0 will stop the train, and in others if you do this while it's running the AI will immediately raise them again. It's good to avoid 0 unless the train is parked. ;)

Thank you for your reply.

This is a very interesting solution, but it is beyond my current knowledge of TrainZ.

I'll take note and save your answer for when I have more experience.

Best regards.

Michel.

Back