Speeding Ticket?

rhban

When you follow an AI train, you get various messages.
Some are helpful, like "Excessive Curve Speed" tells you it would be a good idea to have a lower speed limit on this bend, but they're not all useful:-

"Rough Handling" - What am I supposed to do? Speak severely to the driver?
As for "Speeding 34/35 kph" - I have no idea what this even means.

Speeding 34/35 means you're doing 35 in a 34 kph speed limit zone.

Rough handling due to your freight, and your passengers too, getting jostled around by starting and stopped, although I never heard coal, paper, and plastic pellets complain!

Excessive curve speed is as you said, but that can also be solved by making the curve wider with a sweeping curve, or the other more complex way is to adjust the super-elevation of the curves.

When you follow an AI train, you get various messages.
Some are helpful, like "Excessive Curve Speed" tells you it would be a good idea to have a lower speed limit on this bend, but they're not all useful:-

"Rough Handling" - What am I supposed to do? Speak severely to the driver?
As for "Speeding 34/35 kph" - I have no idea what this even means.

I can share your Frustrations, as I have the same problem! I have observed many a RR Operation where Cars are slammed together, Trains driving faster than they should be, since 1955 to present. Unfortunately this is why in the real world, you see some many Railroad Incidents, Crashes, Der

But be it as it may. In Trainz, I don't know what constitutes excessive Speed in Curves, someone more learned than me hopefully will reply with some additional info.

But did figure out one thing, when you adjust your speed downward 5% increments more often than not, I get the msg too......"Rough Handling"

I should be honest, it gets under my skin, I don't remember having this in like say TANE, TS-12, Etc, but it might be that the Script writers (Software Developers) have tried to make things more realistic too?

With that said, I have found if make less than 5% Speed decreases, It decreases the amount of warnings. ;)

Also it doesn't matter which Driver Control you use, I see it in both Modes......I hope this helps some.....:wave:

I get the curve speed and speeding warnings. I can handle those, but the rough handling???? I pull into an industry going 7 mph and kick the throttle down (slowly) to stop and sometimes I still get "Rough Handling" warning. What is the threshold for rough handling? Did I run over a cricket on the track and caused one of the cars to jerk slightly?

I get the curve speed and speeding warnings. I can handle those, but the rough handling???? I pull into an industry going 7 mph and kick the throttle down (slowly) to stop and sometimes I still get "Rough Handling" warning. What is the threshold for rough handling? Did I run over a cricket on the track and caused one of the cars to jerk slightly?

I hear that,now that you mention it. I see the same results too. :hehe:

Had forgotten about that part of it.......It's crazy..........:sleep:

I have also watched lots of Trainz Videos, and seen others due over speed moves and stops when Shunting I wonder what they get when they hit their Rolling Stock at speeds higher than 5MPH or come into a Siding or Spur at higher speed than is rated........7 MPH is nothing for Speed, your being really careful as far as I can understand, seems to me, if I recall, Yard Speed Limit is 10 MPH and your 3 Miles below that and reducing your speed further, your a excellent Engineer. I remember working with some Engineers, just as an observer, telling me, what their speeds were and the Results, Broken Knuckles, occasional Derails with Beer Tables over Switch Points, Picking the Points....Hell, I could rattle on here, I better stop before I get myself in trouble.:(

Lets hope some fellow Members here can shine a Light (PUN intended) because I am at loss on this too......:confused:

Wishing a great day.....:wave:

I'm sure some tram riders might complain if their trolley car lurches and squeals around a curve, but I've never heard cattle, corn, or sand say a peep. :D

I think there is an older thread on this subject. It seems it started with TRS19, and they have done nothing to fix it. you can get "Rough Handling" no matter how easy you go, but it doesn't seem to mean anything.

I think there is an older thread on this subject. It seems it started with TRS19, and they have done nothing to fix it. you can get "Rough Handling" no matter how easy you go, but it doesn't seem to mean anything.

There is but I couldn't find it when I searched. If I remember correctly, Tony said they'll look into that at some point. Given other messy things, this is probably not on the top priority list.

There is no speed sign available that I know of that sets 34 kph as a limit. This was on a 35 kph limit on a tight bend and the train was not speeding according to what was showing. I have also seen "Speeding 100/100 kph", which also makes no sense.

There is no speed sign available that I know of that sets 34 kph as a limit. This was on a 35 kph limit on a tight bend and the train was not speeding according to what was showing. I have also seen "Speeding 100/100 kph", which also makes no sense.

100/100 and it says you're speed means that the limit is 100 and you are doing a fraction over 100 kph. The driver HUD only shows whole numbers, meaning no fractions.

The 34/35 could be that a mph speed limit sign was put down instead of a kph and your metric conversion made that display 34 kph on the driver HUD. I've seen that before myself when I mistakenly put down a 20 kph sign instead of a 20 mph sign and ended up with 12 mph being shown.

The speed limit is exactly as the figure on the right suggests.

8d831eeb-2157-475c-ae32-3423577f892a

Hmm - that's not working. Have they changed the way images are displayed? It's bad enough that you can't just drag an image into this box.

As I understand the “rough handling” message, it’s related to the sudden change in throttle of the loco. The throttle steps are part of the loco’s configuration so it’s not easy to fix.
Using the dial control with the mouse, you can select the dial, then move the pointer radially outwards. This gives a fine control of the throttle setting.
excess curve speed warnings I just ignore. There’s no mechanism/calculation that I’m aware of for this.
it was suggested that this warning should be an on/off option…

As I understand the “rough handling” message, it’s related to the sudden change in throttle of the loco. The throttle steps are part of the loco’s configuration so it’s not easy to fix.
Using the dial control with the mouse, you can select the dial, then move the pointer radially outwards. This gives a fine control of the throttle setting.
excess curve speed warnings I just ignore. There’s no mechanism/calculation that I’m aware of for this.

Understand that, but using the mouse to control the dial is cumbersome and not what I like to do. We know that the throttle can be adjusted in smaller increments that 5% changes, so it would be really nice if we could use CTRL-ALT < / > to make 1% changes or some combination of keys that would do it.

Understand that, but using the mouse to control the dial is cumbersome and not what I like to do. We know that the throttle can be adjusted in smaller increments that 5% changes, so it would be really nice if we could use CTRL-ALT < / > to make 1% changes or some combination of keys that would do it.

There have been discussions regarding just that. Even pressing SHIFT would work.

In the end, I ignore both the curve speed and rough handling messages it's easier that way.

As to : excess curve speed...........

One of my favorite routes had a limit of 70 mph and I noticed that I would get a lot of excess curve speed warnings around 55 mph but the AI trains could go around those curves at 70 mph and never derail but my driver trains would derail at speeds a lot slower than that so, I would not ignore the warnings.

What I did do was go through the route and I lowered the limit to 50 mph and now I can drive full speed and not derail and my AI will not out perform and cause navigation problems for me because they will only go 50 mph also.

Just a thought!

Willd Willy the Wacko

Good Day to all

At the risk of offending\upsetting some users, Gentlemen and Ladies have you tried pressing the [F5] key when driving manually, or is that too brutal an option?

Keep safe folks.

At the risk of being stupid..........

Good Day to all

At the risk of offending\upsetting some users, Gentlemen and Ladies have you tried pressing the [F5] key when driving manually, or is that too brutal an option?

Keep safe folks.

what does the [F5] key do?

I didn't ask right away thinking that I would find the answer on my own but the STUPID in-game help said it didn't have any info on that!!!!!

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

There has been some comments on this issue in other threads.

From my own personal experience the "Rough Handling" message can vary between locos - same route, same track section, same speed change but one loco gets the "Rough Handling" warning, a different loco doesn't. This has been put down by some as due to the differences in the engine specs between the locos. On some locos it can happen when even the smallest possible speed change has been applied.

If the cause of the "Rough Handling" is the engine specs then I am not sure that a "one-size-fits-all" solution would be practical - short of removing the warning completely which would penalize those creators who have put the time and effort into making more realistic engine specs. But it is always possible that on some locos the warning indicates that the specs are correctly set :hehe:

Last edited:
Gentlemen and Ladies have you tried pressing the [F5] key when driving manually

what does the [F5] key do?

Good question. I had to try it myself to see.

It is the Ostrich Solution to all message problems. Bury your head in the sand and the problem will vanish :cool: - like the special sunglasses in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy that go completely opaque when danger threatens so you don't get upset by the reality directly in front of you.

F5 in Driver hides all screen overlays - speed, driver commands, track profile, menus and those "annoying" messages such as "Rough Handling". As I said, it is the Ostrich Solution.

Back