So are you using splines or turffx?

I haven't really sat down and made a huge route, but I have tried making routes and have gotten somewhere. I can't use TurfFX though, as I play Trainz on a Mac, and they don't support it. Ah well... hopefully Apple can be a bit more open to other technologies. I will say though, routes that appear to use TurfFX, while still looking good, are very empty, and just don't feel finished. Of course, they are, but whatever. Still enjoy the game regardless.

What do you mean the feel "empty" and "unfinished"? Do you mean turffx do not contain the same level of detail as a spline or placed object?

Hi Chris --

Frame rates:

I don't see any noticeable reduction of frame rates when using TurfFX. But this could be because I use only a limited number, usually five -- green grass long/short, brown grass long/short, and crops.
I suspect that with more types of TurfFX effects there might be some impact on frame rates.
I also have the feeling that some splines do have a negative impact.

As a suggestion, download the route shown in the video on the previous page, "The Rivercide Railroad". Test it with the TurfFX. Remove the TurfFX and see if does effect frame rates. I'd be interested in the result.

Only near to the tracks:

Nope. I cover the whole route.

In the past I downloaded many routes from the Download Station to discover how they were constructed. Maybe consider downloading a couple of mine and do the same?
I do a detailed write up of each route and layout in these Forums. To see if any of these interest you do an Advanced Search of the Forums, thus:

Advanced%20Search.jpg

_____

Hi SRKing --

Like Chris I'm a bit unsure about empty and unfinished. I suspect that is not because of TurfFX vs Splines but more for other reasons.

Does this one look empty and unfinished. It also shows one of the features that I particularly like about TurfFX grasses -- the way they sway in the wind:

Phil

Only near to the tracks:

Some of my effect layers are specifically designed for use on, between and near tracks. One is a Clutter layer of various small stones and tuffs of grass which I use along all track throughout the layout, another is a TurfFX layer with short but fairly dense dry grass for little used sidings and a branch-line that would see one or two trains each week.

Two, as I mentioned, are tall grass TurfFX layers which I have modified to resemble different grain crops.

Others, all TurfFX layers, replicate low shrubs and grasses for various different vegetation zones and I use them alongside the track out to about 50m or so. Because the grass assets they use are small and have LODs that make them vanish fairly quickly as the camera POV moves away, there is not much point in having them at all distances from the track.

Those TurfFX layers sound interesting. Is there one of your routes I could download that incorporate this feature?

Phil

Most of them are build 5.1 and require Trainz Plus/TRS22. I have posted the config.txt file specs here.

Track and Yard Clutter Effect Layer

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:45176:100754>
category-class                          "CLUT"
username                                "Track & Yard Clutter"
description                             "Effect Clutter Layer with a mixture of small stones and tufts of grass. Suitable for track areas and rail yards. Ground texture shown in thumbnail is not included."
effect-type                             "clutter"
kind                                    "effect-layer-preset"
trainz-build                            5.1

effect-properties
{
  turffx-asset                          <kuid2:661281:65014:13>
  turffx-density                        "4,3,0.050000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  turffx-height-scale                   "0,3,1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  geometry-scale                        0.15
  blade-width                           0.03
  blade-width-noise                     0.4
  blade-height-noise                    0.5
  width-scale-near                      "1,1,1,0"
  width-scale-far                       "1,1,1,0"
  bending-scale                         0.2
  dispersal                             0.317
  bunching                              0
  expansion-constant                    0.2
  expansion-multiplier                  0.2
  number-of-seeds-multiplier            0.2
  avoid-water                           "1"
  altitude-range                        "-3000,3000"
  clutter-density                       "5,4,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  spacing                               1
  random-rotation                       "1"
  draw-distance                         200

mesh-assets
  {
    {
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96394:3>
      weight                            0.716129
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96397:3>
      weight                            0.690323
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96398:3>
      weight                            0.677419
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96399:3>
      weight                            0.664516
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96109:2>
      weight                            0.277419
    }
  }
  gradient-range                        "0,60"
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid2:661281:96398:3>
  2                                     <kuid2:661281:65014:13>
  3                                     <kuid2:661281:96394:3>
  4                                     <kuid2:661281:96109:2>
  5                                     <kuid2:661281:96397:3>
  6                                     <kuid2:661281:96399:3>
}

thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "thumbnail.jpg"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}

Arid Grass and Stones Clutter

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:45176:101757>
category-class                          "CLUT"
username                                "Arid Grass and Stones Clutter 2"
effect-type                             "clutter"
description                             "Effect Layer with both Clutter (stones) and TurfFx (grasses) for an arid or semi-arid environment. A mixture of various low grasses in clumps. Ground texture shown in thumbnail is not included."

effect-properties
{
  clutter-density                       "2,3,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  spacing                               1.5
  random-rotation                       "1"
  draw-distance                         400

mesh-assets
  {
    {
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96109:2>
      weight                            0.5
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96113:3>
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid:661281:96790>
      weight                            0.741935
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96395:3>
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96122:1>
      weight                            0.225806
    }

{
      kuid                              <kuid2:661281:96117:2>
      weight                            1
    }
  }
  gradient-range                        "0,60"
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid2:661281:96117:2>
  2                                     <kuid2:661281:96109:2>
  3                                     <kuid2:661281:96113:3>
  4                                     <kuid:661281:96790>
  5                                     <kuid2:661281:96395:3>
  6                                     <kuid2:661281:96122:1>
}

thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "thumbnail.jpg"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}

Grain Crop

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:45176:101371>
category-class                          "TURF"
username                                "Grain TurfFX"
description                             "Grain crop, dark colour"
effect-type                             "turffx"

effect-properties
{
  turffx-asset                          <kuid2:661281:65035:4>
  turffx-density                        "4,3,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  geometry-scale                        1.75
  blade-width                           0.15
  blade-width-noise                     0.2
  gradient-range                        "0,90"
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid2:661281:65035:4>
}

thumbnails
{
}

Grass Short Dry - for use along little used track. This is a modified TFX - Wheat 1 built-in.

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:45176:102190>
username                                "Grass Short Dry"
category-class                          "TURF"
description                             "Short dry grass stalks for use on tracks in little used sidings and branch lines."
effect-type                             "turffx"

effect-properties
{
  turffx-asset                          <kuid2:661281:65014:13>
  turffx-density                        "4,3,0.050000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000"
  geometry-scale                        0.15
  blade-width                           0.03
  blade-width-noise                     0.4
  gradient-range                        "0,90"
}

thumbnails
{
}

kuid-table
{
  1                                     <kuid2:661281:65014:13>
}

Wheat Crop - the standard TFX - Wheat 1 built-in

Phil and Chris - when I said "empty and unfinished", I meant how the routes often look like older, legacy routes, and look empty because of the thumbnails used on the routes. There isn't anything wrong with the routes - all of my TRS19/22 ones look beautiful, and the Swanage Railway from a few weeks back is especially so - but since I play Trainz on a Mac, I can't see TurfFX at all on any route I download. As a result, I can only really use either grass sllines or grass objects for routes.

The route in the video you've sent me Phil looks amazing! Unfortunately, it will look a bit empty, since I can't see the TurfFX, but it certainly doesn't look like it in the video!

Sorry for the confusion, and hope this clarification helps.

Hi Chris --

Frame rates:

I don't see any noticeable reduction of frame rates when using TurfFX. But this could be because I use only a limited number, usually five -- green grass long/short, brown grass long/short, and crops.
I suspect that with more types of TurfFX effects there might be some impact on frame rates.
I also have the feeling that some splines do have a negative impact.

As a suggestion, download the route shown in the video on the previous page, "The Rivercide Railroad". Test it with the TurfFX. Remove the TurfFX and see if does effect frame rates. I'd be interested in the result.

Only near to the tracks:

Phil

DL'd the Jenn Erik RR, 70fps with and without turffx at all distances. My gpu=1660super with Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd 3800, 16MB 2666. I have my FPS limited to 70fps on my 75 monitor to prevent tearing, so I am getting full FPS. The one thing I noted, and maybe it was just the loco. was the grass was being drawn inside the loco, so I will test that on my trial board, turffx grass vs spline grass.

And to be honest, I think I liked the route more with the turffx turned off.

***Ok, tried it with turffx and spline grass and different locos. All locos with all grass had the grass appear sticking up through the running boards, only the single steam loco had the grass appear inside the cab so it is a fault loco.***

Last edited:
Chris --

"And to be honest, I think I liked the route more with the turffx turned off."

I was going to make a flippant remark, something like "Which means I must be outstandingly good at texturing or extremely bad with TurfFX." But then I tried the layout with TurfFX and without TurfFX and it holds up well both ways. If I had to choose, though. I'd go with TurfFX.

So what can we conclude? TurfFX has little or no impact on frame rates? With the proviso, perhaps, that it needs a high end PC, like yours or mine (Intel i9 / RTX 3070 / water cooled).

Your comment about the TurfFX coming up through cab / running board / freight car deck / ... . That, I'm afraid, is one of the "features" of Trainz or, more correctly, the version I used. The layout was constructed in TRS19 without any of the Service Patches. I believe somewhere along the lines (was it a SP or is it TRS22?) there is an option to remove all TurfFX from the track bed. Even if it had been available to me, though, I would not have used it -- grass over the track gives it an unkept appearance, which is what I wanted.

Phil

Most likely I liked the route with no turffx just because to this point I am not a fan, but I am going to give it a go on my current work, heck it is easy to nuke the layer so why not?

The grass through the cab was on my custom test build I did yesterday with Sp4, so it is there with turffx and splines and is a Trainz issue rendering.

That route you did, did you come up with the track plan on your own or was it a plan from online? I did a model Shamokin (?) using a HO scale track plan as a basemap, worked well. If you did it on your own...WELL DONE YOU! That is an excellent layout, beautiful.

Just learning to use turffx

I was wondering what most people are using on their TRS19 routes, I have tried using turffx but I find I always end up deleting it and going back to grass/bush splines, I think for the fact that I can put these splines exactly where I want them and not worry about them popping up in the middle of a highway etc.

Now I appreciate that turffx is much faster to paint a board with, but it can be a bit of a fight at times eh.

What do you think? If most people use turffx on their routes then maybe I just suck at it.:confused:

I think both splines and turffx can be used on routes to make it look nice and realistic depending on where it is placed! Turffx is definitely is a challenge placed near road and tracks, but I like how the turffx grass and wheat move with the wind!!

Last edited:
A little late to the party here and definitely struggling a little. I've downloaded a few turffx effects from the DLS.

How/where do I find them to use? I know how to get to the turfFX tool and apply an effect, I just don't know how to find and apply the ones I downloaded.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

I've downloaded a few turffx effects from the DLS.

How/where do I find them to use?

I just tried my hand at adding one of my saved clutter effect layers (saved as a.cpd and imported into CM) into my Trainz Plus beta install. Once an Effect Layers has been imported then it should be available as a Preset. The steps are:-

1. From the Surveyor Edit Menu, open the Edit Effect Layer window
  2. Click the Presets dialogue box to open its drop down list
  3. Select the required preset (i.e. the imported effect layer) from the list

To use the new layer:-

1. Open the Ground/Topology Tool (F1 in Surveyor Classic or S1.0) and its Advanced option
  2. Click in the Ground dialogue box to open its drop down list
  3. Select the required Effect Layer

Some tips:-

• You will need to adjust the brush size tool as Effect Layers need a minimum radius to work (a red brush circle means "too small")
  • Selecting the brush radius and sensitivity tool dials will be a matter of preference and trial and error. I leave the sensitivity at its default setting.
  • Click the Height Up button to add ("paint in") the Effect Layer. Click the Height Down button to remove ("paint out") a selected Effect Layer.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
I personally only use TurfFX on my own routes now. Lots of that spline grass looks really rough in TRS22.

Matt

I personally only use TurfFX on my own routes now.

I use TurfFX and individual grass objects (not splines). Most (all??) TurfFX included assets use LODs (often quite severe!) so they vanish fairly quickly as you paint further out from the track. Increasing the distance value in the Effect Layer settings does not always solve that issue. Many (older) grass object assets do not have LODs so are visible right out to the edge baseboard and if used wisely they do not affect performance. Some of the individual grass objects I use close to the track are selected from those that are also used in Effect layers - they are available as separate objects and do have LOD but give you the best of both worlds.

Back