Pushing realism too far

Orpheus2000

Yesterday I loaded TRS19 and ran a session. After a short while something struck me as odd: most of the ground cover - a mixture of some of the grass textures - was brown. Worse, all of the water - sea, lakes and rivers - had vanished.

I don't know what caused this - maybe I overdosed on my vitamin D tablets and had a fit of mad editing - but it was certainly spooky considering the current weather....:eek:

You may have an N3V version of a drought. For a fee, N3V will sell you a virtual sprinkler system plus a fee for water consumption.

Yesterday I loaded TRS19 and ran a session. After a short while something struck me as odd: most of the ground cover - a mixture of some of the grass textures - was brown. Worse, all of the water - sea, lakes and rivers - had vanished.

I don't know what caused this - maybe I overdosed on my vitamin D tablets and had a fit of mad editing - but it was certainly spooky considering the current weather....:eek:

Well I worked on my route today for two hours in sp4 , saved , had lunch, opened up the game, did some more work, then realised everything I'd done in the past two hours had vanished ( no its not in the session layer ) , I abandoned what I was working on , quit, opened up again , the vanished stuff was still gone, BUT the stuff I'd abandoned HAD somehow saved and was there, even though I know I had definitely not saved it. I save when I quit, and back up to cdp three times, but whenever I open up trainz I''m reminded that I have unsaved actions , I don't but it presents this dialogue box to me almost every time.

Last edited:
Well I worked on my route today for two hours in sp4 , saved , had lunch, opened up the game, did some more work, then realised everything I'd done in the past two hours had vanished ( no its not in the session layer ) , I abandoned what I was working on , quit, opened up again , the vanished stuff was still gone, BUT the stuff I'd abandoned HAD somehow saved and was there, even though I know I had definitely not saved it. I save when I quit, and back up to cdp three times, but whenever I open up trainz I''m reminded that I have unsaved actions , I don't but it presents this dialogue box to me almost every time.

Trainz is wonderful in many ways, but it can be difficult: at present I cannot get the track, in some parts to smooth out. Some textures, splines and tracks seem to have differing notions of 0.00 height.

Another oddity is that when I use the Object Search function for a particular train, say a train called Chips 1, the selection panel shows Chips 1 twice. Selecting either takes me to what seems to be the single version, so I assume all is OK, but I do wonder about some of the programming.

You know how our route developers have lots of back-ups ?

Do you wonder if N3V will ever decide that they have gone too far in trying to improve the game and just delete and go back to TANE or 2010?

Wild Willy the Wacko

Do you wonder if N3V will ever decide that they have gone too far in trying to improve the game and just delete and go back to TANE or 2010?

Wild Willy the Wacko

it might be a good idea, I was using 2019 sp1 on my mac, had very few issues, but for some unknown reason it just decided it wasn't going to work anymore , the environmental controls are frozen and even if i re-install, that situation still persists, they wont give me any troubleshooting as they state the first version is not supported, kept on insisting I update to newer versions which presumably were" better ", but i i couldn't update any further on mac unless I ran a newer OS, which is just not possible on my machine, due to its age , so I moved to sp4 on PC which has FAR MORE issues , consists changing direction and derailing , track doing weird things occasionally, such as disappearing, in mid section, crimping, weird stuff going on etc etc, i suppose with newer versions of trainz the database generally rebuilds faster, so there has been some progress at least. :)

Yes, and when you think you solved one problem ........later you discover more!

it might be a good idea, I was using 2019 sp1 on my mac, had very few issues, but for some unknown reason it just decided it wasn't going to work anymore , the environmental controls are frozen and even if i re-install, that situation still persists, they wont give me any troubleshooting as they state the first version is not supported, kept on insisting I update to newer versions which presumably were" better ", but i i couldn't update any further on mac unless I ran a newer OS, which is just not possible on my machine, due to its age , so I moved to sp4 on PC which has FAR MORE issues , consists changing direction and derailing , track doing weird things occasionally, such as disappearing, in mid section, crimping, weird stuff going on etc etc, i suppose with newer versions of trainz the database generally rebuilds faster, so there has been some progress at least. :)

I had thought I lucked out when I imported my favorite route and session, everything was working except that I decided I didn't like the driver engine I had. It was a desk-top control model to go with my Raildriver but it was also one of those engines that kept applying the break and I would have to punch the D key many times to get it to release.

I decided to replace the engine in my session but when I saved under a new name it broke track connections. Right in front of my driver engine the track was broken and it would derail. My AI consists said that there was no path to their destinations.

On another favorite route I found tracks crisscrossing each other in a four track section and telegraph lines that oozed over and ran down between rails.

It was suggested that I update to the last build with the suggestion that I would only have to fix all these things one more time but the more I explored, the more breaks I found. I think my next move may be to install the latest build on my new SSD and hope that importing my favorites will work and not break when I try to make changes like changing my driver engine and saving my session.

Wild Willy the Wacko

The wacko-splines and track issue was fixed I think in SP5. If you have any you adjusted, meaning fixed in SP4, you may need to go back and repair them in SP5, but for the most part they're okay. The squirrely track issue was really annoying but not as bad as what we encountered in TRS2010 SP2 or SP3.

In that version any track that was attached to a fixed-track object or MO-Crossing object such as a RR crossing, ended up sending out splines to nowhere. We called it Splines in Space after the old Pigs in Space movie. We could repair the splines, but the process was annoying beyond anything and in less than a month the issue was fixed.

Back