Too Much Stuff

boleyd

I had a total failure that forced me to reconstruct the route that was being modified.

All of the Session Commands returned to their default. I found that I could not remember all of the titles of the lost commands. The volume of commands, with only small differences, is daunting.

Working through this mass of commands was unpleasant. Dozens of people published commands that were either duplicates or very close to existing commands. Base product evolution contributed its set of new commands. Commands that only apply to a specific route were also on the list.

Perhaps there is no solution to this or, some people are just not suited to this stuff, as it continues to grow and evolve. I may be at the point where so many options exist for simple tasks, that as you grow older, it is better to find another hobby than continually fighting the results of evolution and the 110 entries for the word clock.

PS: that %$%^ Session with two meanings does not help.

All of the Session Commands returned to their default.

99% of the time that indicates that, at some point, you loaded the route but not the session.

I found that I could not remember all of the titles of the lost commands.

The solution is to backup. When I exit Surveyor after every editing session I export the route and the session, whichever I have edited, as a .cdp file. If I am really serious about it then I add the time to the name of the .cdp file - for details see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups#Backup_Plan_Basics for a sample backup plan.

Dozens of people published commands that were either duplicates or very close to existing commands.

This is both the curse and the great benefit of the DLS. When is "too much choice" a bad thing? Walk down the supermarket aisle and how many different cans of soup or bottles of tomato sauce will you see? In Trainz it also applies to scenery and rolling stock assets. How many different versions of the SD40 do we need? - there are 869 of them on the DLS not including obsolete and out of date versions. Purists would argue that there were more than that many different variations (brandings, colour schemes, modifications, etc) in use anyway.

Perhaps there is no solution to this or, some people are just not suited to this stuff, as it continues to grow and evolve.

My solution is to make a choice and stick with it until you are certain that something better is available. Enjoy the variety because it means that there are plenty of creators out there who are free and able to "do their own thing" - something that some of the other rail sims cannot claim.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
Back