Trains jumping the session gun

Orpheus2000

Occasionally I have clicked at the wrong time and overwritten a fully AI session in mid-flow, as it were: my trains are part way through their schedules. Since it's the 'master' session I have overwritten I have to move all the trains back to their start points. Then I find that, on running the session, some trains lurch forward briefly as though the interrupted session was still active for that brief moment, and some appear to continue the 'old' schedule, completely ignoring 'Wait For' time delays in the driver's schedule.

Does anyone know what goes on here?

Before I run such a reset session, I check that the rules do not have to be restarted. Apart from that I can't think of what else to do, although there was one time when I gave up, deleted all consists (some 30 of them) and started again. That was painful.

I suppose that, ideally, I should back up to a CDP file every time I make a significant change, but while my train drivers are AI and clever, I am human and often dim.

Last edited:
This is why I made the plea to re-instate the "on the fly" "Edit Trains " feature !

Occasionally I have clicked at the wrong time and overwritten a fully AI session in mid-flow, as it were: my trains are part way through their schedules. Since it's the 'master' session I have overwritten I have to move all the trains back to their start points. Then I find that, on running the session, some trains lurch forward briefly as though the interrupted session was still active for that brief moment, and some appear to continue the 'old' schedule, completely ignoring 'Wait For' time delays in the driver's schedule.

Does anyone know what goes on here?

Before I run such a reset session, I check that the rules do not have to be restarted. Apart from that I can't think of what else to do, although there was one time when I gave up, deleted all consists (some 30 of them) and started again. That was painful.

I suppose that, ideally, I should back up to a CDP file every time I make a significant change, but while my train drivers are AI and clever, I am human and often dim.

A while back I tried to make the case for having "Edit Trains " feature be available as it used to be instead of having to switch to Surveyor because I was always afraid that I would accidently overwrite my complex sessions and ruin them.

Our leader seemed to take the position that smart people just won't do that and I assume we are stuck with this situation.

One can't even do a simple move like pulling an AI back from locking up signals without saving a new session!

Wild Willy the Wacko

The discussion was brought up again and there's a possibility that the edit trains function may return at some point but don't hold your breath waiting because this was added to the very bottom of the long to-do list.

Place all trains in a layer of their own in the session layer part of the surveyor. When you then run the route and have to alter a train it is in a session layer and not the route layer. Exit the route and only save the route, not the session. The original session will be there next time you launch your route.
When you moved the trains back to the start position you did not reset the edit session so all commands remained at the point you exited.

Maybe I'm dim, but I don't really understand what you are saying here, Stagecoach. I don't know how to move trains not in the Edit Session part of Sessions. I don't have any trains in Route.

I have all my trains on the session layer, but like you, I have had this same problem at time. I have found if you delete the engine and then put it back again the problem is fixed.

Back