Noisy/speckled shadows in cab

wedgef5

Lifelong KCS Fan
I'm having an issue with noisy/speckled shadows when I'm in cab view. I'm pretty sure it's the shadows because I don't see this when I'm in a tunnel, nor do I see it when shadows are turned off. I'll attach a sample image.

Is this a known issue?

Matt

Speckled-Shadows.jpg

I have it, too. And while some adjustments will reduce it slightly, nothing eliminates it that I have found.

It's the artefacts caused by the meshes and how the shadows are applied to the models. I pointed this out during the earliest testing in TANE and was told it is what it is and in so many words to live with it. Thus, we have buzzy shadows that look like swarms of gnats that go along with the jellyfish guts with the PBR textures.

I have read that these and other artefacts are common in all sims that use PBR textures, but Trainz is the only game I’ve seen them in. So I’m inclined to think PBR in Trainz is not implemented as well as it should be.

I've never seen that, but I do see telephone lines that look like dashed lines that offset and aren't quite connected.

I have read that these and other artefacts are common in all sims that use PBR textures, but Trainz is the only game I’ve seen them in. So I’m inclined to think PBR in Trainz is not implemented as well as it should be.
I agree. Most of the games I play have PBR, and there are no such artifacts on any of the games (except trainz). Even some of those PBR ground texture artifacts ("jellyfish guts") that were supposedly a PBR problem I have not seen on any other game but Trainz. I suspect this is a problem with the trainz E2 engine rather then with PBR. Hopefully when ray tracing comes, which I assume will completely overhaul the current lighting system, these problems will be resolved.

Last edited:
Do the Shadow quality or Main shadow resolution settings have any effect on it? I am current on Medium quality at 2048 for the resolution.

Do the Shadow quality or Main shadow resolution settings have any effect on it? I am current on Medium quality at 2048 for the resolution.
With shadows on ultra, the artifacts are much less, but ultra is way to high a setting for a 1660 and will run at basically slide-show speeds.

Last edited:
Typically, these artifacts disappear completely whenever you use Main shadow resolution set to 4096 and have Shadow Quality set to 'Ultra'.

I had this problem with dotty shadows in cab. I tried every setting and nothing changed. But I will say since I turned on resizable bar in my PC bios for the Nvidia card it has sorted out my issue and it only happens in cab right up at the roof in the corners and I don't pan my camera up that high so I can live with it for now.

Just to tie a ribbon on this topic...it was noted that setting shadows to Ultra/4096 significantly helps the issue, but my GTX 1660 can't handle Ultra shadows. I can confirm this. Performance even starts to degrade with shadows on High. I think I am just going to turn shadows off. Between the speckles in cab, and the very unrealistic shadows at times (e.g., sharp, clear shadows when it's cloudy and raining), it just isn't worth it at this point.

Thank you everyone for the helpful input!

Matt

Back