The buggy crossing gates of TS12 and TANE.

JonMyrlennBailey

I don't know about post-TANE Trainz, but American-style crossing gates by boats and vincentrh can malfunction. Boats ATLS gates don't seem to malfunction much in TS12 but every ATLS gate I have on my TANE route is now stuck active with no train present. Restarting the session does not reset the stuck ATLS gates. At least in TANE, if a vincentrh TRC gate gets stuck down, the session can be saved and restarted to correct this gate.

TRC is a better system overall because stuck gates can be fixed by saving and restarting session. Trains can go forward, stop and back up over this style crossing. Gates open when train motion ceases near crossing. TRC gates act more like gates on real-word railroads and are great near stations, yards, customer sidings and junctions. However, TRC gates in TANE may randomly not sound bells and the time delay feature for lowering gates may or may not work.

TRC = Trigger for Rail Crossing, allows for stopping and backing up within trigger range, as in a real physical railroad, gates are activated by a MOVING train being in a specified zone, not by trigger sequence

ATLS = Advanced Traffic Light System, trains must run over triggers in sequence and not stop and back up within range of triggers: the word ADVANCED in this low-grade content is a joke

I was wondering if an improved gate system has been invented for post-TANE editions of Trainz.

Probably because ATLS was initially never meant to be used as RRcrossings. It was meant for Trams to interact with road traffic on splines at intersections And to control road traffic at intersections. That being said there are more assets to ATLS that can reset the crossing. Personally I use HP Trainz crossings for the 90 degree 2 lane roads crossings. And only use ATLS for certain situations.

Probably because ATLS was initially never meant to be used as RRcrossings. It was meant for Trams to interact with road traffic on splines at intersections And to control road traffic at intersections. That being said there are more assets to ATLS that can reset the crossing. Personally I use HP Trainz crossings for the 90 degree 2 lane roads crossings. And only use ATLS for certain situations.

A tram, a trolley, a streetcar. Yes, such rail vehicles are not going to have to back up near or at crossings as to cut cars on sidings the way freight trains do. They are not going to stop at stations near crossings a long time to boot.

ATLS = Advanced Traffic Light System, trains must run over triggers in sequence and not stop and back up within range of triggers:...

Use one of these correctors, depending on your Trainz version, will fix this issue

<kuid2:76656:500029:3> ATLS Corrector TRS19 v 4.6
<kuid2:76656:500029:2> ATLS Corrector v 3.5
<kuid2:76656:500029:1> ATLS Corrector v 2.9
<kuid:76656:500029> ATLS Corrector v 2.4

Those ATLS crossings should of had a special reset command because sometimes they don't reset in TS12.
I tracked down an error when an AI computer controlled diesel locomotive and consist backed up a line and tripped the ATLS sensor then the train continued on as per commands. What was worked out is that the unique train has to hit the reset sensor on the opposite side of the crossing, or the boom gates wont open.
If the train terminates at a portal then the crossing never gets reset.
Suggest alter the ATLS script to include a user operated master reset condition whilst in driver mode.

So does this kuid will do the reset job for the TS12 and TANE <kuid2:76656:500029:2> ATLS Corrector v 3.5 ?

Those ATLS crossings should of had a special reset command because sometimes they don't reset in TS12.
I tracked down an error when an AI computer controlled diesel locomotive and consist backed up a line and tripped the ATLS sensor then the train continued on as per commands. What was worked out is that the unique train has to hit the reset sensor on the opposite side of the crossing, or the boom gates wont open.
If the train terminates at a portal then the crossing never gets reset.
Suggest alter the ATLS script to include a user operated master reset condition whilst in driver mode.

So does this kuid will do the reset job for the TS12 and TANE <kuid2:76656:500029:2> ATLS Corrector v 3.5 ?

I just tried the Corrector and about 8 or 9 ATLS gates were still stuck shut. This is TANE SP4. Now, I have all TRC gates there. TRC American crossings (US Scenery) even have a fast-beating scary bell tone that screams STOP! or get crushed flat.

Last edited:
Trainz members:
I'm trying to work out how this reset driver command works:

http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/atls.html

ATLS 'Re-Set' Driver Command
KUID:76656:80000
By request. Insert into any train's Driver Schedule to re-set
ATLS on a specfic Channel if it goes out of sync.
(Use with care)

Interesting if it will work with the level crossings.
There is a TS12, TANE and a TRS19 version on the Trainz DLS.

Mike Davies

A bit of feedback to you all:

I tried out the ATLS 'Re-Set' Driver Command in TANE SP4
KUID2:76656:80000:1

In a session contolled with ATLS crossings I enabled this command when in driver mode.

Now the thing to remember is that every ATLS crossing has its own channel number (all the triggers of the crossing have the same channel number).

Train goes over a trigger point at a crossing set boom and lights start flashing.
Stop the train at the crossing.
Add ATLS Re-Set command to the driver tasks clicking on the unique channel number (in my case it was channel 13).
Bingo the crossing number 13 reset and cars started to cross over the tracks.
It worked.
Many thanks Boat.
What is needed is to display the channel number of each ATLS railroad crossing when in driver mode.
Say add a display sign at each crossing indicating the channel number.

When you have a layout with many crossings one needs to know the unique channel numbers.
Be ideal if one could click on a crossing to display the unique ATLS channel number.

davies_mike57

I use the method of naming the ATLS controllers using the CH name IE: "ATLS 13" then a quick peek at the map view will tell you what CH the set is on, and I can follow up with the controls and driver commands as needed. May not be "perfect" but one will quickly ID what the channel is.

Back