multiple route layers ... is there a point to this

b9k9kiwi

I have a route (not from the DLS) which has 20 route layers - why?

Updating the route to TRS19 standards (replace track, replace trees etc.) is difficult and sometimes unsuccessful.

Im busy copying each layer to the base layer (and tyhen deleting the merged layer) ... lord knows what effect that will have.

I do understand your frustration as I've been there before. There's no need to copy the layer. All you need to do is merge it and that will take care of it once and for all. The tedious part is each and every layer needs to be moved one at a time unless I'm mistaken which is possible.

Why so many layers? Some route builders have gone hog wild with layers as they categorize each and every asset type-they place down. The problem I have with that many layers is keeping track of which one I'm on, therefore, I use the KISS method and have only two route layers. Well, actually one extra beside the route layer called HOLD_!!! which I keep locked and is used to hold things I'm trying to prevent from moving when I'm adjusting something else. Once I'm done, I put the held asset back into the route layer.

I have a route (not from the DLS) which has 20 route layers - why?

Why so many layers? Some route builders have gone hog wild with layers as they categorize each and every asset type-they place down.

Layers? I luv 'em.

I can never have too many of them - like the layers in a strawberry and cream layer cake, the more the better. I could never create without lots of them.

In my current project I have 13 route layers and, so far, just the one session layer but I have yet to get to grips with the Sessions. In a previous project I had 8 session layers as well.

Layers are one of the best things in Trainz, in my opinion. If you don't like 'em then you clearly don't understand 'em!

There is a Trainz Wiki Page dealing with the wonders and pleasures of these marvelous and totally indispensable tools at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers

My humble opinions :)

I love layers. Yes, they can sometimes create problems, but it is worth it. I have created fires that show up at a certain time and fire equipment show up, fire is put out and fire equipment goes home. This is done by showing and hiding layers at a certain time. You can create a lot of daily activities by using layers. Like parking lot filling up for football game the later emptying.

When building a route it is sometimes easier to lock/hide a layer while working nearby. It would be hard to place a hedge and a fence alongside the track in the same location without hiding one of them. I have several layers for AI trains, AI planes, and traffic, AI shipping, Xmas, and all industries. It makes it easy to find them on large routes. My Xmas layer decorates some areas at Xmas time but can be hidden out of season. Make sure that the layer is not an alternative for the route like a 1960 track plan and a 2000 track plan which can be used as two different route layouts. Some assets attached to a parent won't merge and need to be manually changed.

Layers upon layers upon layers, no wonder Trainz users have to upgrade to a more powerfull computer to drive a route and session.

Layers upon layers upon layers, no wonder Trainz users have to upgrade to a more powerfull computer to drive a route and session.

Said, no doubt, with tongue in cheek. Layers add almost nothing to the system overheads when the assets are being rendered in Driver.

I love layers. Yes, they can sometimes create problems, but it is worth it. I have created fires that show up at a certain time and fire equipment show up, fire is put out and fire equipment goes home. This is done by showing and hiding layers at a certain time. You can create a lot of daily activities by using layers. Like parking lot filling up for football game the later emptying.
How do you do things like that? Are there any rules or triggers for that and if so, which KUID / names do those assets have? Does that work in TANE?

How do you do things like that? Are there any rules or triggers for that and if so, which KUID / names do those assets have? Does that work in TANE?
I hid the layers then use <kuid2:122381:10008:3> Timecheck then child <kuid2:401543:1170:1> Show/Hide Layer under it. This allows the layer to be hidden or unhidden at a set time.

pware,

Be advised that the "layer Control" command does not exist in 117669 (Trains Plus)

Bummer!

Dave

Back