Thread: Santa Fe GP7 or GP9's?

Post Santa Fe GP7 or GP9's?

Working on a prototypical 1950's ATSF module and was wondering, does anyone know of any tiger-striped models of the ATSF GP7 or 9's out there? Only one I can find is a payware/later freeware asset from VMD (before it was closed down) which is obviously no longer available (Wayback had every single page archived right up until I actually tried to download the CDP, talk about a bummer!). Payware, freeware, doesn't really matter, just need a decent model to work in the scene. Does anyone know where I might find one? Only other option is to reskin one but I haven't found an engine that I like enough to reskin yet, figured I could pick everyone's brain while I search Thanks in advance!

United States of America, Nebraska, Lincoln

He suposedly turned them all over to N8PHU Who is planning to update them and release them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPacos View Post
    Only other option is to reskin one but I haven't found an engine that I like enough to reskin yet, figured I could pick everyone's brain while I search Thanks in advance!
    Alright, there's two things you can do.

1. Wait for N8PHU to re-release the Geeps.
    2. Reskin.

For reskinning, take JR's RPPX GP9, clone it and swap the meshes with the RPPX GP18. Then, open the texture file and remove all lettering and all orange. Congratulations, you now have a blank GP9 to reskin. For a GP7, skip the mesh swap step. Congratulations, you now have a blank GP7. Now, open three layers above the main layer. Make the bottom one (not the main) Multiply, and make the middle one Overlay. The top layer is for lettering and logos, the middle layer is for white and yellow, and the bottom layer is for the black. Use a dark gray instead of black so you keep the details. When you're done, make sure to re-add the alpha channel and then save and commit the asset. You don't need to close the photo editor, just make sure to un-flatten it before you start making changes.
    Go find someone else to bully..

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DARTrider View Post

2. Reskin.

For reskinning, take JR's RPPX GP9, clone it and swap the meshes with the RPPX GP18. Then, open the texture file and remove all lettering and all orange. Congratulations, you now have a blank GP9 to reskin. For a GP7, skip the mesh swap step. Congratulations, you now have a blank GP7. Now, open three layers above the main layer. Make the bottom one (not the main) Multiply, and make the middle one Overlay. The top layer is for lettering and logos, the middle layer is for white and yellow, and the bottom layer is for the black. Use a dark gray instead of black so you keep the details. When you're done, make sure to re-add the alpha channel and then save and commit the asset. You don't need to close the photo editor, just make sure to un-flatten it before you start making changes.
    The problem with the RPPX locomotives is that they have ditch lights which weren't required by law until the 1980's. Therefore, if you're going to reskin a locomotive into Santa Fe colors, and set it in the 1950's, you would need a locomotive that doesn't have ditch lights.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    The problem with the RPPX locomotives is that they have ditch lights which weren't required by law until the 1980's. Therefore, if you're going to reskin a locomotive into Santa Fe colors, and set it in the 1950's, you would need a locomotive that doesn't have ditch lights.
    What do you expect for free? I am sure there is a technique or way to make them not there, someone just has to chime in let you know, one way or another.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pdkoester View Post
    What do you expect for free? I am sure there is a technique or way to make them not there, someone just has to chime in let you know, one way or another.
    There is: Use Cincysouthernrwy's 'GP9 Yosemite Valley 52 tiger stripe', <kuid2:45588:2020:1>, which is basically an ATSF GP9 with zebra striping except lettered and numbered for Yosemite Valley and reskin it for Santa Fe.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by pdkoester View Post
    You can mesh-swap the RPPX meshes with meshes without ditch lights.

2. Reskin.

The only RPPX GP9's I found are Club Car access only, so that's not an option. JR does have other payware GP9's but they're ridiculously expensive for the work I'd have to put into them. When I said it could be either freeware or payware, I meant I don't mind paying for a ready-to-run model. I draw the line at dropping $15 on a model that I still have to put a day or two of work into. I don't want it THAT much

There is: Use Cincysouthernrwy's 'GP9 Yosemite Valley 52 tiger stripe', <kuid2:45588:2020:1>, which is basically an ATSF GP9 with zebra striping except lettered and numbered for Yosemite Valley and reskin it for Santa Fe.
    That's pretty much what I am looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPacos View Post
    The only RPPX GP9's I found are Club Car access only, so that's not an option. JR does have other payware GP9's but they're ridiculously expensive for the work I'd have to put into them. When I said it could be either freeware or payware, I meant I don't mind paying for a ready-to-run model. I draw the line at dropping $15 on a model that I still have to put a day or two of work into. I don't want it THAT much
    !
    Get the Coal Country route for the RPPX Geeps, but I guess you make a good argument about the payware stuff and having to reskin it.

Get the Coal Country route for the RPPX Geeps, but I guess you make a good argument about the payware stuff and having to reskin it.
    You know what, I completely forgot about Coal Country having the Geeps in it, good catch! This is the progress, thanks to JR having fantastic engine meshes that you can really easily reskin. Probably one of the easiest in-depth reskins I've ever done (so far)...

She lives! Thanks DARTrider, would've never thought of that engine had you not mentioned Coal Country... Looks amazing if I do say so myself