Missing AI drivers

rhban

I have 25 AI drivers on my fairly large route. They were all working perfectly well until yesterday, when all I did was add some more scenery. Now only about half a dozen of them appear in Drive Session. I have been back to Edit Session several times: all my drivers are there with all their instructions intact. I save and exit surveyor, go to Drive Session again and... once again only half a dozen drivers appear. Is it my computer? Or is the game just trying to confuse me?
Build 116960

Mac 27 inch, 2020, 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel, 8 GB memory, AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4GB graphics card.

Under Edit Session, Driver Setup, are the check boxes at the bottom set correctly, or recently changed?

At the bottom I usually have it set to;

• Checked
  • Checked
  • Un-Checked
  • Checked

I don't think I've ever seen a check box in Driver Setup, not even in TANE. There is just a tick and cross in the bottom right hand corner. I tick and am taken back to Surveyor. I save, exit surveyor, click Drive Session again and find my drivers are still apparently on holiday.

I don't think I've ever seen a check box in Driver Setup, not even in TANE. There is just a tick and cross in the bottom right hand corner. I tick and am taken back to Surveyor. I save, exit surveyor, click Drive Session again and find my drivers are still apparently on holiday.

As I recall, you have to scroll down to find them.

As I recall, you have to scroll down to find them.

Scroll down yes, but there's only the tick/cross at the bottom.
Screen_Shot_2022-08-04_at_9.59.36_am.png

rhban - Your screenshot shows the driver setup schedule dialog minimised - Click the square (top right) of the dialog window to maximise the window, then scroll down to reveal the checkboxes at the bottom left of the scheduled drivers' list.
There are 4 check box settings available...
Scrolling down the maximised window will also reveal your 'missing' drivers!

Last edited:
I tried adding Drive to Trackmark, using rather unnecessary track marks, on my bottom 4 trains, thinking that this might bring them to the attention of the game, but no use.
I then tried checking the rule Wait for Trains to Complete Schedule, which I have never understood, but that achieved nothing.

I always uncheck the rule about placing a driver in empty locomotives, as almost all of my trains have 2 locos and there's not much point of having a driver sitting in the assisting loco doing nothing.

When this first happened, my first thought was Oh no, I'm going to have to rewrite all those driver instructions out again. Then I discovered all the drivers and instructions are sitting there in the Edit Session panel intact. So why do more than half of the disappear when I go to Drive Session?

No. I never have that option checked. As I said, I have many consists with two locos, and often have empty locomotives standing in sidings. I absolutely do not want drivers in them - it confuses the AI.
I am very puzzled by the one that says something like "wait till schedule is complete" - I assume that is for a session where the player is to drive the train, but not until a whole of lot of AI movements have taken place, but I've never heard it described.

rhban
This is the bottom of that screen. As you see, there are no extra check boxes.
Your image above in #8 is too small to make out the checkboxes - but they are certainly there and available to be actioned if needed.
Here is a shot of the Drivers Settings window at the very bottom left of the dialog from one of my sessions involving more than 30 AI drivers showing the checkbox options available:

checkboxes.jpg

Yes, I don't use the Generate New Drivers rule, because that puts drivers on trains where I don't want them, but none of those rules explain why my drivers are not turning up for work. In Edit Session, they and their instructions are all there, but when I go to Drive Session, more than half disappear. They were all working perfectly until I added a small amount of scenery which in no way affected track, stations, signals or anything that might have altered the situation.

Adding scenery to a Session in Edit Session mode would have made the game prompt you to save the changes you made to the underlying Route upon exit of the editing.
Appears that you might not have done this at the time, giving rise to the difficulties you've outlined in this lengthy thread.
Adding consists, drivers and driver commands is almost always conducted using Edit Session... mode, whereas adding scenery and other static, non-controlled assets should be done - and saved - in Edit Route... mode.

Thanks for the reminder, but I am always very careful to keep Route and Session separate. I got caught a few times in the early days. What puzzles me is that all the drivers and instructions are still intact in Edit Session. When I have made the mistake you mention in the past, I have had to laboriously rewrite all the drivers' instructions.

I tried again. I saved the session under a new name - didn't help. So from Edit Session I tried saving both session and route under a new name - made not the slightest bit of difference. I am at a loss.

Well, I tried it - interesting: I ended up with over 50 drivers (I lost count at about 54) - all but 4 having no vehicle according to the chart that appears on the left in Drive Session.

Back