Trainz Plus Beta update available - Build#118495

Good to see the Mac version out early. Successfully updated to 118533. No testing done so far. Can we please have the thread title updated to show both PC and Mac version available. It helps to highlight things. I happen to see it a few pages back, which I typically don't go through the entire thread or the first page unless I see changes.

When is compressed storage reaching regular versions? I ask as I see compressed storage as a big feature for users to upgrade.

Last edited:
Great to see that <kuid2:57230:100258:14> West from Denver - Moffat Route has been restored to the latest version following the erroneous reversion of many components/ assets in the recent beta release.
The Content Store server was really s.l.o.w. today and the download took quite a while at just over 1MB/s instead of the usual 35+Megabytes/s typically experienced here.

Last edited:
PC_Ace,

There's an update on the crashes. The issue is related to audio drivers and not the video at least in my case. I have a SoundBlaster AE-9 audio card and disabling that allowed the program to run fine without crashing. I worked with Laurance on this and he's passed that info on to the devs to take a look at. Hopefully, in the next patch that will be solved. In the meantime, I disable the SB card and use the built-in audio instead when testing.

Brilliant - Thanks John. Appreciate the update. Will likely help others out with the same soundcard/ drivers. Mine, a discrete ASUS Xonar HDAV PCIe device, was not affected...

Could you please add what sound card you are using, as well as what drivers.

If you disable your soundcard, does Trainz continue to Crash?

So after looking at the post from JCitron I have figured out that the game only crashes at start up when I have my riff wireless headphones bluetoothed to the computer. If I use the built in card I have no issues. However if start the game then enable the wireless headphones I have no issues as long as the game is running.

Brilliant - Thanks John. Appreciate the update. Will likely help others out with the same soundcard/ drivers. Mine, a discrete ASUS Xonar HDAV PCIe device, was not affected...

Indeed. I have no issues with the built-in Realtek drivers on either my laptop or desktop and it's only the SoundBlaster. The AE-9 is a combination of a PCIe sound card with an external breakout box to switch between headphones, or to the speaker output on the card. I use the speakers to connect to my Roland LX-17 digital piano and the headphone port connects to a pair of ancient speakers which I use for Trainz, other games, and YouTube.

Hemler mentioned his blue tooth Riff headphones causing his crash, so I'm thinking this has something to do with how the program talks to some of the audio devices.

Just installed some assets then I noticed that CM gives wrong informations in "File Size" column. Left, the real sizes of .tzarc, right, what CM says:

172 203KB / 454.0MB
170 060KB / 454.0MB
165 826KB / 454.0MB
157 471KB / 454.0MB
367 617KB / 1004.4MB

Just installed some assets then I noticed that CM gives wrong informations in "File Size" column. Left, the real sizes of .tzarc, right, what CM says:

172 203KB / 454.0MB
170 060KB / 454.0MB
165 826KB / 454.0MB
157 471KB / 454.0MB
367 617KB / 1004.4MB

What stagecoach says is correct. CM is showing the uncompressed size of the assets. Now, there's another thing to keep in mind here. Compression is going to vary based on the kinds of assets. Assets that are primarily old with meshes and simple textures are going to compress a lot further than those that have lots of PBR textures and lots of other components. Assets that are only text, i.e., aliased assets will be even smaller. There are some file formats such as such as jpg files will not compress even further than they already are, so they're already small.

In general, a CDP or .tzarc will reduce most assets down to roughly 50% of their actual size, but as I said this will vary based on the textures used and what the other components consist of.

I just checked: .tzarc is 367.617KB, CM says "File Size" is 1004.4MB. Uncompressed, the asset is 672MB...

Can confirm more on the audio drivers causing the CTD with the new patch. when I swapped to the built in Realtek it booted fine while it crashed when started with my headset selected. A tad strange but hope it gets worked out. I'll add my specs best I can remember if it provides any help. Only issue is when swapping audio after loading the game, at least for me, it stays silent so I cant listen to my game for a little bit haha!

Windows 10
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Radeon RX 5700-XT
RAM: X5H5PW-MIE 2x8GB (came with Alienware R10 ~late 2020)
Built in Realtek driver is 6.0.9018.1, driver for the head set is Alienware 510H 10.0.19041.1682

Last edited:
So after looking at the post from JCitron I have figured out that the game only crashes at start up when I have my riff wireless headphones bluetoothed to the computer. If I use the built in card I have no issues. However if start the game then enable the wireless headphones I have no issues as long as the game is running.

Please update to 118660 via the Trainz Plus Beta stream. Would you be able to advise if this resolves your crash using your Bluetooth headset.

If the crash continues, could you send us in the crashdump.dmp file by following these steps:

1. Re-launch TRS22Click Trainz Settings
  2. Click on the Install tab
  3. Highlight the entire folder directory path listed under "Local Data Folder"
  4. Use Ctrl-C to copy to your clipboard
  5. Open Windows File Explorer
  6. Use Ctrl-V to paste the directory path.
  7. From the Windows Explorer folder, copy the "crashdump.dmp" file from the local user data folder and paste it on your desktop
  8. Please attach the "crashdump.dmp" file (now found on the desktop) and include your soundcard hardware & drivers in the description for the bug report found here: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Back