Which locomotives in TRS2006 paintshed can't be customized?

Od19

I heard that Trainz 2006 has a bug where you can only customize some locomotives, I was thinking of trying get a copy for nostalgia sake.
Anyone know which locomotives are customizable and which ones aren't?

It's been way too long for many of us to remember anything like that.

If you do get a copy of TRS2006, you have to install and run it as administrator.
If you install SP0 and upgrade to SP1, you cannot run the program prior to upgrading, otherwise, the program dies and has to be reinstalled all over again.

Content Manager will have issues with Windows 10 and up since it gets confused sometimes with the new network setup. I've gotten it to work but I don't remember what I did other than wait for the golden globe with the Trainz logo to appear on it and drop fairy dust on the setup.

Unfortunately all I can offer on that subject due to being so long ago I can't remember exactly the process of modifying Paint Shed content, plus I never used TRS 06 so any info I have on that is second-hand at best (mostly due to the enormous issues that plagued CM back then put me off upgrading from 04), is that I do recall that it was mentioned back then that the 'built-in' version of Paint Shed in TRS 06 was actually broken (due to missing DLL files?) and was never fixed, so the usual way of working around that was to download, install and run Paint Shed seperately (Auran providing a free link for it from what I understand, but that was a long time ago and is almost certainly no longer active).

Either way, the best thing would be to check out the TRS 06 forum and see what advice may have been offered there.

I reinstalled TS06 a few years back for repairing assets and the installation would die after a few days. No idea what the problem was but the database always seemed to get trashed. Don't remember the Windows version but it was probably 10.

After about three attempts I gave up. Curiously, the original Trainz, UTC and TS04 ran just fine apart from the clunky graphics.

As I recall, PaintShed only worked on diesels and the like. I tried a few times but it didn't appeal to me.

Assuming you are talking about PaintShed, or reskinning in general, the model needs a really simple UV map to make it easier to paint. Modern 3D modelling programs such as Blender tend to maximise texel density and the resulting UV maps are mostly highly fragmented.

If you can obtain an FBX version of the model then you can import into products like Substance Painter (expensive) and really do a good paint job. There are cheaper tools coming along.

From the first PS box:

GP38-2
SW7
Class 50
Nohab EMD (di3)

UTC box has:

50 locos and wagons

and I remember it had GG1, TGV, F7 a&b, and Alco FA1.

Last edited:
Back