Those hazardous trackside objects!

JonMyrlennBailey

Have you ever noticed how close certain trackside objects are? Switch levers, sign posts, signals and floodlight towers in yards. You may know that certain train personnel hang off the sides of moving trains as during switching operations. So, how do they avoid hitting such close trackside objects anyway?

I rode the scale train with my family in 1973 in Sonoma County, California. It was 1973 and I was age 9 at that time. These were the ride-able scale-model trains at the amusement park called Train Town. The train went over a truss bridge and the trusses were so close I could reach out and slap them with my hand as the train passed. Passengers sat in open gondolas with benches. I reached out and touched the side of the bridge with my hand and was lucky there was no injury. My father told me I should keep my hands inside the train so as not to get hurt. I followed his advice from thereon.

Riding a bicycle at age 16, and automobile on the street passed so close to me that my left hand was barely nicked by his protruding door handle or maybe it was his sideview mirror. No real pain but that was damned close!

Back