How to recover corrupted route CORRECTLY

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
I know there is a way for restoring backups for a corrupted route in order to get it back but they don't seem to work for me. I have been following the steps from this wiki page but Im not sure if its outdated or Im doing something wrong. I did it 4 times and in all four, the route didnt change to being Open For Edit, even after 30 seconds. This meant I couldn't submit edits in order to restore the route to a previous save. I even tried following a similar tutorial from a similar thread I posted last year and deleted the route before exported the corrupted file, which is my last resort since the last time I attempted it, it didnt work. And predictably in this occasion, it did not work as well.

So Im at a loss right now. What am I doing wrong? Was the info the the article outdated? Have I missed something? I have no idea what the hell Im doing so if anyone can lend some guidance, I'd appreciate it

Last edited:
Not sure what you're doing wrong, but if the file is not submitting, there could be something else at issue here. Check the logs. That may show file lock, or submitting file, etc. If your disk space is low, this can affect this part and so can a corrupted or failing hard drive.

What is the exact process you are doing?

State the steps you followed and maybe we can correct them.

The process is relatively simple.

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but if the file is not submitting, there could be something else at issue here. Check the logs. That may show file lock, or submitting file, etc. If your disk space is low, this can affect this part and so can a corrupted or failing hard drive.

What is the exact process you are doing?

State the steps you followed and maybe we can correct them.

The process is relatively simple.

What I've been doing is going to the backups folder and going to the tzarc file for previous save of my route, preferable before the corruption. I've been using tzarcs from earlier today and from the last time I played the route in surveyor which was on the 16th. Id then copy and paste said tzarc into my editing folder. There I'd do a rebuild database and wait until it finished. According to that wiki page, the route would show up as open for edit however it would still show up modified. The other process Ive been following (from this thread) is basically the same except in this case, I had to backup the corrupted route before deleting it. In both of these cases nothing happened. I may go and check the logs to see if anything is a miss or not.

One thing that did happen during this whole thing was that another corrupted route of mine (a modified version of the ECML route) ended up getting recovered as there was another tzarc file in the editing folder. From what I remember, I got that tzarc file from build folder copy from an external whom I can only describe as being similar to my moody cat: it only works when it wants to. I had used that folder until towards the end of last year when my internal hard drive failed. Not wanting to wait until my external to warm up to my new hard drive, I copied that folder onto another drive and have been using that one ever since. So I dont know, maybe it did work but I have to give it some time.

Right now Im doing something similar but reversed, pasting the tzarc file from my corrupted route and putting onto the original build copy onto my troublesome external. I have 0 clue if it'll work or not but I'm hoping some results may pop out from this

Also I will admit that I fudged up by not exporting this route sooner. Not knowing that unplugging my tablet would disconnect the external I had this route on isn't an excuse q~q

Last edited:
Alright so the plan of copying the tzarc onto the other build folder didnt work so I ended up opening up the logs and typing in the kuid of my route. This is what I got @JCitron
screenshot_%28419%29.png

Any thoughts?

In Content Manager, find your route.

Right-click and try a revert to original.

If it doesn't work, then everything is completely hosed.

Go to your edit folder.

Move the contents of that folder elsewhere. It's basically hosed but save it anyway just because.

Once the folder is emptied.

You now need to get a the .tzarc file from the backups.

Go to the day when the last version worked.

Copy the .tzarc and not the folder which no longer works to your edit folder.
If there's a number sequence after the .tzarc, rename the file and remove the sequence.

Example.

Here's something I've been editing...

kuid 124863 100171.tzarc_378321425

Rename this file to kuid 124863 100171.tzarc

Run your database repair.

This will hopefully restore your file.

In Content Manager, find your route.

Right-click and try a revert to original.

If it doesn't work, then everything is completely hosed.

Go to your edit folder.

Move the contents of that folder elsewhere. It's basically hosed but save it anyway just because.

Once the folder is emptied.

You now need to get a the .tzarc file from the backups.

Go to the day when the last version worked.

Copy the .tzarc and not the folder which no longer works to your edit folder.
If there's a number sequence after the .tzarc, rename the file and remove the sequence.

Example.

Here's something I've been editing...

kuid 124863 100171.tzarc_378321425

Rename this file to kuid 124863 100171.tzarc

Run your database repair.

This will hopefully restore your file.

I followed all of the directions you listed and at the time of typing this, the database repair wrapped up. I haven't done anything yet, apart from opening content manager and typing my route in the search bar (its under Open for Edit now instead of Modified), since I am little nervous that anything I do next might screw it all up lol ^^'. Should I click on submit edit for the file?

Also, should I put everything that I took out of the editing folder back in the folder?

So I ended up clicking on submit edits and that seemed to do the trick. My route is back to normal now! Thank you so much for your help @JCitron

Back