LOL This struck me as funny.

First of all, that’s hysterical😂

Second, on a more inquisitive note, do the refrigerated containers run off their own generators during transport or are they hooked up to an external supply? I’ve never seen any hooked up on a container ship or double stack but I could be wrong.

LOL chillin' while waiting:hehe:

Second, on a more inquisitive note, do the refrigerated containers run off their own generators during transport or are they hooked up to an external supply? I’ve never seen any hooked up on a container ship or double stack but I could be wrong.

They have their own gas / diesel engine with their own fuel tank to keep the inside cool during transport. I've seen them shipped on intermodal trains when they pass through mostly Rochelle and a few other places.

Cheers

First of all, that’s hysterical

Actually, both. Reefers are allocated specific positions onboard container ships such that the generators are easily accessible via gangways to facilitate regular checks by the ship's crew and more importantly, run off the ship's generator. When in port, they have specific storage zones where they can be hooked up to either ground power or direct cold air supply so as to not deplete the diesel tank, which usually only lasts about a week, at most.

web1.jpg

Source: used to work in marine logistics.

Last edited:
Ahhh that makes a lot more sense now. I could honestly use a cold air supply of my own at the moment, as my bedroom still hasn't cooled down from this nasty heatwave.

Back