Bookmarks are not saved when session is reopened in surveyor TRS19 SP5

pitkin

The bookmarks seem to disappear when I close and then open a session. I don't know of any way to save and restore them.

I have also noticed this in Trainz Plus. It does not happen regularly enough for me to identify any possible cause. Mostly I am working in Surveyor on the route only (no session loaded) and that is where I set the bookmarks. Occasionally I load a session to test out the route work and then return to loading the route only. Somewhere along the way the bookmarks are lost.

Not certain if it is the switch between the route and session and then back to the route. It does not always happen. The UDS is not involved (but I am not 100% sure of that - will need to run some tests).

Last edited:
So far my efforts to reproduce the issue have failed. I guess it will strike when I least expect it :D

As I posted in another thread, if after a Save As you exit surveyor WITHOUT another Save bookmarks will go bye-bye when you reload. Using this technique all summer and bookmarks stay.

Thank you for the info. I just tested it in Trainz Plus (117699) and could not reproduce it.

Just to elaborate:

I use Platinum that has the UDS, but I do not use that feature. I exit Surveyor or Driver and restart the other one. This is because I am developing sessions for a route that is not mine. So I cannot change it. Usually this works because when I save, Trainz will simply ask the save the session. If I end up not making any changes in Surveyor, I will exit without saving, even if it asks me to save the route and session. I am definitely losing bookmarks, but maybe that's just the way it is with my use model.

Thanks those who looked into this.

The feature is inconsistent and without consistency, it's difficult to pinpoint cause and effect.

I never used the bookmarks, or at least I haven't used them in nearly two decades. The current version has a nice feature where if you edit a route, then exit and edit the session you'll be put in exactly the same place where you left in the session. This is convenient for fiddling around such as adjusting sidings after finding them in the Session editor as I'm setting up consists. I don't use UDS unless I'm testing something such as signals or ATLS crossings and then I don't save anything unless I make a change in Surveyor.

The problem is, sometimes going in reverse from the Session back to the Route Trainz "remembers" a location somewhere else that was edited many hours or sometimes a day or two before.

The feature is inconsistent and without consistency, it's difficult to pinpoint cause and effect.

I never used the bookmarks, or at least I haven't used them in nearly two decades. The current version has a nice feature where if you edit a route, then exit and edit the session you'll be put in exactly the same place where you left in the session. This is convenient for fiddling around such as adjusting sidings after finding them in the Session editor as I'm setting up consists. I don't use UDS unless I'm testing something such as signals or ATLS crossings and then I don't save anything unless I make a change in Surveyor.

The problem is, sometimes going in reverse from the Session back to the Route Trainz "remembers" a location somewhere else that was edited many hours or sometimes a day or two before.

This feature about saving the location also causes problems with session creation. The rules and checkboxes for focusing the session start of the first driver, for example, no longer work.

Back