Windows 12

wilts747

It is now being reported in the IT press, TechRadar for one, that Microsoft is considering releasing a new version of Windows every three years by rolling up some of their larger annual updates and improvements (i.e. fixes) and calling it Windows xx. This comes on top of other suggestions that the next version of Windows will require an SSD as the boot device which might seem encouraging but most disheartening a week ago while looking for a school laptop for a granddaughter. Most had between 32 - 128GB eMMC storage and ran in Windows S mode with nothing more than USB for expansion. Peter

I suspect this is another click bait rumour, last one was Windows 12 was going to be this Autumn.

Better off looking for an 8th generation Intel 8th gen as they will run Win11 without any problems, older won't although currently there are means of running 11 on unsupported hardware that may not as MS said last for long.

Stay away from anything with eMMC storage and only 4GB of ram as they will have problems running Win10 or 11. Windows S is restricted to only using apps from the Microsoft store.

I'd suggest Dell for something like this.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lap...on-15/spd/inspiron-15-3515-laptop/cn31509sc11

Or see what the have at Dell Outlet

Thank you, John, I'm still looking and never thought of the second hand market. Peter

Dell refurbished are off lease office machines so normally a bit better built than the home market. I wouldn't go with any second hand vendor but Dell are good. Sometimes the new machines were put in a filing cabinet for three years then replaced. I've seen that happen more than once at work. Funds and approval were available for the new machines but you didn't know if you'd get funding in the next three years and the price for 500 machines on one order would be lower than for a singer machine, but watch the timing the prices jump around a lot more than the new machines depending on what comes in and how many they have to shift.

The cheapest machines are not always the worse performing ones so check the specs carefully. I'd go 8 gigs of memory and 8th gen CPU then you can upgrade to win 11 for free. Check the size of the laptop screen probably 14 inch is as small as you might like to go and I'd buy fairly quickly since they are doing 44% off everything today. Watch the splash screens for the details.

Have fun.

Cheerio John

Back