Lighted Scenery Spline - nightmode

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
I have made a simple asset that lights up at night. I made a spline of it also, but it does not light and nightmode is an invalid tag with the track container, and I have read alot of post, most are a few years old.

My question, has anyone found a solution, or are there new tags yet?

If not, I'm thinking the spline only calls the single light kuid as a buildable object for the mesh table? In saw some code that looked like it comes close.

To me changing the colors of the object to mimic a nightmode just is not what I'm trying to figure out.

So any new info on this topic woud be super. I will release some new assets on the DLS if I can figure it out.

Last edited:
hi Christopher, sadly splines have no working nightmode (yet)
but you can work with self-illumination if you want
<kuid:99999:3997> Folkestone lampspline, on the DLS
I made this for the route London-Lille

greetings GM

There isn't:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?155185-When-will-splines-support-night-meshes

followinf those answers, what you can do (with PBR) is using the emissive channel for "lit" during night.... but by other hand, it also lits during daytime... (the best examples out there, are neon signs)

If i recall, you can switch meshes (hide or show), via script, or use and drawcall for animation

Note:
In the past versions I've tryed to use/make particle "smoke" effect emitters, for "foggy" lamps.... didn't work out well...

"dynamic light" is sure a big missing in trainz... (for me should be the next upgrade)

FWIW, setting the PBR emissive channel to 100% white has the same effect as emissive settings of m.notex in that spline. (Had a peek at it with IM Editor)

I just checked.

In fact this helped me improve my coaling tower. Sadly we still don't have "projecting" lights like loco headlamps, but it looks better like this than dark - as you said. A corona helps too, although they have a habit of being visible thru solid objects so they must be used cautiously.

gBHob5o.jpg

yB2yZxv.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is a way around a lack of point lighting in general. Since locomotives are capable of it, could an invisible loco with visible headlight be attached to invisible track vertically to provide lighting? I've done it before with normal locos for screenshots but the invisible loco idea just occurred to me while reading this thread.

I don't think this situation will happen. If this lights kill your PC the problem is in the implementation of that. In my opinion, with the currently technology we can have dynamic lightning, but is necessary a good design of this.

Back