TRS22 Turf effects - turfFX

wflint

turfFX works well in TRS19 but...

Need a step-by-step for getting turf effects [turfFX] to show up in TRS22.

Tried
1] Topolgy Tab/ Advanced,
2] Effect Layer - Grass [tried all preinstalled grass]
3] Height - UP
4] Sensitivity - UP
5] Radius - Selected
6] Nada

Thx

Check in the main options menu, I know for TRS19 there was the option to disable Turf/Clutter FX so may be in the same place in 22.

...IMHO, The "Clutter + TurfFX" setting should be default.

Even better if it auto detected on install by GPU. Windows now controls my NVIDIA cards automatically, and mobile should be off, and Mac off. So in code off by default, GPU detected, turn on.

Hello there trainzers.

I have a question about these Turf Effects.

The description of Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 on Steam mentions this Turf Effect:
NEW WORLD BUILDING TOOLS
  • NVIDIA Turf Effects empowers route builders to simulate realistic ground cover on a vast scale.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/553520/Trainz_Railroad_Simulator_2019

tfx.jpg

Why is it called NVIDIA Turf Effects ?
Does it work only on NVIDIA GPUs ?
Does it work slowly on AMD and Intel GPUs ?

Thank you.

TurfFX is being recoded by N3V to work on non Nvidea GPUs and on MacOS. That was announced recently. Delivery date of the update is, as yet, unknown.

It was in the Trainz Newsletter which arrived in my inbox 1 Sept 2023 (I eventually found in my Trash folder). The relevant section I have quoted below:-

Next-gen Clutter System

TurfFX (our solution for rendering dense grass) has always been limited to Windows which means other platforms and hardware do not experience some finer details of a route. The next generation of Clutter is changing this!

We are continuing to enhance the Clutter effect layer with the eventual aim of superseding TurfFX entirely. Clutter will introduce many enhancements including bulk mesh animation to allow wind effects on all types of foliage.

This cross-platform technology is expected to increase visual fidelity across Windows DX11 and MacOS.

@pware

Thank you for the quote. I hope that this new feature will work equally good (with approximately same framerate) on GPUs of AMD, Intel and nvidia. It would be interesting to test these effects on modern Intel Arc GPUs.

Back