Roof Color

boleyd

As I was examining a route I had loaded, I noticed a coal mine with a light red roof. I had never seen that. I live in coal country and many of the pink/red roofs shown on assets are "out of place". Bright white, very clean coal mine buildings, with pink roofs, is more of a distraction than an attraction. I have a red roof..... BUT it is mottled and a dark red. The pink/red roofs are few. Bright white buildings are also way out of place here. Years of exposure downwind from Pittsburgh quickly dulls the paint. My route era is the 1950's and the paint formulations of that period were no match for the emissions of the steel mills. If people, after a shift, went to their cars they expected to see a red dust. If they didn't, that meant the mills had cut back on production and a shift may be eliminated. Red Dust was good!

Just a note: Westmoreland Coal Co. has a mine under my house. You can't get much closer.

We have a coal mine tunnel 25' under our house. And I can remember washing the car, putting the hose and bucket away, and the car being "discolored" already from the mill (when I lived 7 blocks from it in McKeesport). I feel your pain over the clean roofs...there was no such thing.

So is re-skinning these houses a possibility? Or put your complaint to the creator of the houses and ask for dirtier versions? Or put some effort into learning how to make things yourself?

I have zero interest in resuming programing or "adjusting" software. After beginning a career with the ancient Univac -I ,I retired and decided to never program again. I did fiddle the early Windows OS but lost my Windows For Dummies book and any interest in programming. I am now just a normal customer.

Perhaps some talented people will adjust the roofs, or bright painted surfaces, so I, and a maybe few others, can see that touch of reality for their Trainz. In the mean-time I will paste houses, trees and grass and get close to a real coal mining town.
I confess to an addiction, but as a customer.

PS: I really do not want to complain but just express observations. With three idiots running the world, or aspiring to, Trainz is a valuable refuge.

Pink roofs! Ick! I can understand if pink tile roofs are real and you are modeling that. But I see pink, pink, pink, in regions where not a single pink roof can be found in real life. Bringing down the "Digital Vibrance" in the NVIDIA Control panel (if you have one) helps! I'd almost rather see black and white everything rather than pink roofs.

It is an Aussie thing. Google fly over the suburbs of Melbourne to see the examples.
Some shingles guy had an overstock.

In Australia, like many regions of the world, outside of the US and Canada, except in the deep south, they use reddish clay tiles for all buildings including industrial ones.

If anything, I would like to see more rusty tin roofs, meaning mostly a dull gray with rusty orange and red patches and streaks running down the seams.

Back