Development halted?

G.M.

Development halted?
I love the original TRS19 build 100240, but since then the development for me seems halted
-UDS some will like it but I don't use it
-MPS in its current form I can't use. will try it if ALL content can be used.
-TNI a nice idea, but only if people actually make things with it
-Phys-X also a nice idea, but we learn to turn it off to get better framerates
-PBR can be nice on some surfaces, but not if there are height differences
not if you get nausea cause ground and walls wobble
cab views have serious artifacts, and the increased file sizes drastic slows the game down
-error checking good, but not if it breaks a lot of content (we want Train-Simulator not Repair-Simulator)
-New water, unfinished, not transparent, people have no idea how to control or remove it easy
-S2 has brilliant ideas, but it lacks interface design and is far from complete
-New passengers, higher details yes, but dark at night, not animated, no easy selection of different sets

What lacks (in my eyes) is a masterplan, someone that collects all we users really want from forum and Discord
not pile up 1000 tickets (that no-one knows) of which 800 are probably user systems or a few local assets
combine it with good economics and realistic schedule.

Just an Example (don't care about the sequence):
2022 july, finish MPS, ALL assets can be used, #trainzchat without login/out spam
2022 aug, finish S2, all interfaces readable, user-friendly and intuitive, goal: full replacement of S1
2022 oct, repair/renew the schedule command, waybills, freight handling etc.
2022 nov, passengers sets old/new, different sets, selectable in kind region
animated and not dark a night
2022 dec, overhaul weather, rainbow, moon, easy to apply rain on all cab windows
2023 jan, fix PBR, no height difference and cab artifacts
2023 feb, fix all Interfaces, new Store with better filtering
2023 mar, fix Phys-X no performance hit when on
2023 apr, better sound system, distance parameter in settings where a sound plays cause rail has a gap
also where 2 tracks cross (native replacement of the clickety-clack trigger) and...carz honk much softer !
2023 may, smart catenary(OHW), a user selectable wire asset and height added to procedural track
the wire can be on a different layer(easy to turn off) a scriptable GetCatHeight() function
2023 jun, New native script functions, that catch older functions and translate them to what n3v wants it to be
example: GetTrainList, write in native code the async search needed for this
etc.etc.

Sounds easy not being a real programmer, but everything starts with an idea, a good plan and a roadmap
everything is possible in Trainz, that's why we love it, that's why it stands out.
We all want TRS22 to be a success, if I can help anywhere, let me know
greetings GM

That's a wonderful idea, G.M. Could you do another plan for Climate Change, one to end the war in the Ukraine and perhaps (a bit more difficult) one to finish Partygate?

[Removes tongue from cheek]

Trevor

Development has appeared to slow from my perspective over the last few years. Perhaps things just take longer and longer to implement as the base game engine gets more and more complex. I do hope Tony releases that roadmap soon.

Add another month for consist changes, like the issue of consists spawning a mile back from the original mouse click, a feature like randomized consists and etc. Great job!

G.M.

This is what happens when a company is very small with everyone wearing multiple hats. There's a very big chance that Tony gave everyone a task list and goals to accomplish. The problem though is the best laid out plans are just that as the small staff ends running around putting fires out. The other issue small companies suffer from is smaller revenue streams. Without the revenue coming in, less can be done due to smaller budgets and fewer people to do the jobs. Tony mentioned that with the Plus versions, he was able to hire 3 more programmers to work on products. TRS22 release was a good example, actually where things went pretty well in that regard.

As small companies go, I know from experience how this happens. In my second-to-last job, I assumed many roles as the company downsized to about 10 employees due economic reasons in the industry they served. My original role was network administrator. As time went on, I ended up working in logistics, order administration, customer administration, did inventory control and asset management, field service, and many other positions too many to mention. Wherever an extra hand was needed, I was brought in to help. I did everything and anything during a day from fixing the MS Exchange server one day to shipping a $200K order to Dubai and another to Hong Kong on another day, or sometimes both places on the same day. The worst day was when the business server running SCALA 5 ate its boot drive without warning. I was lucky that I had a backup from the night before and I was able to bring the system back online. This is why I stress backups being a good thing. They reall CYA!

Anyway, this was a typical day in the small company I worked for.

Last edited:
haha Trev, I have those 3 plans ready if you are interested, sadly the world is not ready for them
as long as it all revolves around money and power hungry worldleaders, we will not evolve.

Yes John, I realize all these small company problems, I respect all people giving us this wonderful Simulator
but to bring it to the next level, good ideas and started developments need to be finished.
and it needs a clear path, guidance and vision.
A good programmer is not perse also an interface designer, its another profession.
Putting out fires should not happen, many bugs the last few years were unneeded,
if people document what they program and if all heads are in the same direction.

There are 3 new people, then the company is doing well and i'm happy for that.
I love Trainz, that's why i betatest/post/work hard to make it better.

Thanks G.M. Can I also see your letter to Santa to see what you've asked for for Christmas. ;)

Actually your list isn't too far off our current list - except your dates are about 5-10 years out.

The ability to add content to MPS is about to enter external beta testing for Trainz Plus beta testers.

Finish S20 is about 6-12 man months work. We haven't settled on when were scheduling that (due to current work being on gameplay aspects which we feel is more important).

The weather overhaul has been designed and was going to be one of our updates last year. After the design was complete it turned out to be 2 quarters effort and not one (that was for the majority of dev team).

Freight and passenger systems have been designed and are currently being prototyped. We'll be talking more about this in the coming weeks/months.

You've missed out work on TS3 (an important part of our revenue stream), backend systems, TCCP, content tools, and, in fact, over 2,000 items currently listed in our "Future Features" and "Ongoing bug fixing" lists.

Don't forget engine updates like DX12, raytracing, dynamic lighting. Terrain updates to go beyond 5m grids. Content tool updates. And so many more.

I'm working through the lists and plan to set up a user facing system where people can see more about all the options available to us.

Just spending 1 minute on each item is a weeks work just to compile the list. Then you've got to try and prioritise things. There are various systems that help like MoSCoW, Cost/Benefit, Kano, Cost of Delay, and a dozen others.

Ultimately it's a big task and it will take time, but we'll get there.

Last edited:
That's great news from you Tony
I am well aware how much time some things take
If you read Discord, you can see me struggle on 1 cab for over a month, but I get there because I have a plan and am very persistent hahaha
Wish you and the team success and if you need help (specially if it concerns interfaces) always willing to help.

Thanks G.M. Can I also see your letter to Santa to see what you've asked for for Christmas. ;)
The weather overhaul has been designed and was going to be one of our updates last year. After the design was complete it turned out to be 2 quarters effort and not one (that was for the majority of dev team).
I'm curious, will there be a post in a future about this improvement?

As a Mac user I would like to see Apple's upscaling technology implemented via MetalFX but generally speaking, by my point of view, it's time to stop for a (long) while and focus just on bug fixes and code refinement. I can't believe there isn't something wrong in TRS22 while, enhancing settings the fps drops (and this is normal) but all routes get bumpy (i.e.: from 70 to 30 fps). This doesn't happen in X-Plane 11 which, regardless settings and fps (of course, not extremely low) is always incredibly smooth. And the latter is run at 4k if compared to trs/2k and is even NOT M1 native. Plese, focus on code refinement. I can't tolerate a wonderful x-plane 11 and an arguable trs on a Mac Studio Max. (Please don't tell me Macs aren't good game platform because there is where x-plane was born and still coded primarily).

Last edited:
(sorry to re-copy/paste again my suggestions here).

Last time (few years) the community was invited to vote for priority new features (TANE), and improvements... that was great....

anyway, here's my whistlist/suggesitons for future developments:

1- dynamic lights and shadows:
1.1 (spot, glow, emitters, lamps, bulbs, poles, realistic yard lights, etc)
1.2- editable/ajustable dynamic/point lights (and head/tail lights): range, lumens (lm), diameter, focus, power/intensity, color, direction) and distance of render visibility/ effect-on. Uses: in interior assets/cabview interior/ station platforms, poles/lamps, and street/public pole/lamps. yards and depots.

2- first person view:
2.1 - for walking around, climbing trains, open cab doors, seat on and drive, manual coupling and uncoupling, add/remove tail/front lamps in train, and so on (read 2.2 and 3):
2.2 - first person view for passenger mode (wait for train, find a door, walk in, and seat and enjoy the scenery. (open passenger traincar window, to feel the air) (almost the same as interior passenger asset (non-driveable)

3- use mouse pointer (collision mode?) for open animated doors, and levers, controlling animations when outside the cabview. (hand signals, point levers, turntables, water towers/columms, diesel engine doors, depot doors, dispatcher office, signal towers/interlocking, and so on...

4 - vacuum brakes

5 - sliding/skiding/slippery wheels (inverse of wheelslip), when for example braking with too much pression on brake shoes...

6 - animated/procedural rain effects on windows (and with wipers effect):
- realistic wipers/ rain on windows/glasses (look at the competition rail/train simulator). add inside glass windows fogged up effect/texture, from outside rain or cold/snow temperature...

7 - generic/environment audio effect/filter (like on the other rail sim) where passing under bridges and tunnels the sound of train (engine/motor) have "3D/surround/dolby effect", or reverb filter, simulating the "amplifier" of engine/motor sound between/inside walls or tunnels

8 - better movement of AI passengers: walking to station doors/entry-exits, looking for paths on platforms to enter/exit train doors, and train stations, standing from benches and getting to train door, walk and find a seat. (Pre-trainz 2004 had this beta feature)

9 - user friendly - dem (basic) importer tools

10 - working side-mirrors for cabview/interior view modes only. Because passenger coach/carriages/traincar interiors may also have inside mirrors too.

11 - working/real animated bogey/axle spring suspensions, that also compresses and expands dependent on it's traincar load tonnes.

12 - ambient occlusion transitions: (noticeable inside cabviews/interiors) when travelling after, inside and leaving tunnels, and larger bridges, and relative to daytime luminosity...

13 - industry animation for individual load in same freight traincar. Example: a flat traincar carries 6 wood crates (generic goods). A local forklift will move/animate 6 times, each one in direction of every one of the 6 attachment points (available for load generic goods) in that traincar. Then "find a path", and load the next wagon... (same principle of walking passengers (?).

14 - Add procedural/dynamic hoses and gangways, that can couple/uncouple and "move around" (streech and compress) when coupling/uncoupling and when traincar rolls (and bends in curves)

15 - handbrake tag to all traincars (not only tenders)
And because some older traincars doesn't have any brake at all, and few others don't have handbrakes...

16 - traction motor sounds (ramping, fading, and repeating in cicles of train speed): Add field traction motor transition states (or gear ratios in transmition). The sounds should be playable when speed increases, plus a different sounds if it have reostatic/dynamic/electric brake.

17 - braking squeezes noises (different for cast iron shoes, or synthetic brake shoes, disc brakes).

18 - combined throttle/power + dynamic/electric loco brake lever/control for cab locomotives

Don't forget engine updates like DX12, raytracing, dynamic lighting. Terrain updates to go beyond 5m grids. Content tool updates. And so many more.

I'm looking forward DX12. I guess there are reasons why to use DX12 instead of Vulkan but anyway - important step :)
Lockheed

I'm looking forward to ray traced shadows and dynamic lighting, but I'm skeptical, considering how GPU intensive ray tracing is, and how the current engine is just barely optimized enough to run trainz right now. The E2 engine would need some serious optimization for that.

Last edited:
Back