DEM Install

rick1958

I attempted to install a raw DEM file for the first time in '19. I know the DEM was fine in 2.4, but when I install it it '19, the entire map is a uniforn green grass texture instead of the tiger lines on bare grid. Anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks in advance.

'Tiger' lines implies an old DEM created in the HOG utility. I find these won't install as intended in TS19, but if I install them in TRS10, save the unaltered route to CDP after a 'Save As...' in 10's Content Manager, then import that cdp into 19, all is good....

Edited to correct a senior's moment after reading John's post below

Last edited:
It may be the region you are using. TRS19 default region has grass istead of the grid.

Create a new route and change the region. When you create another new route it will default to the last region used (grid region, no grass)

Here are a couple available on the DLS

<kuid:647907:102162> CDE UK Grid Region
<kuid:647907:102143> CDE USA Grid Region

It may be the region you are using. TRS19 default region has grass istead of the grid.

Create a new route and change the region. When you create another new route it will default to the last region used (grid region, no grass)

Here are a couple available on the DLS

<kuid:647907:102162> CDE UK Grid Region
<kuid:647907:102143> CDE USA Grid Region

Thanks for that. I installed 102143 for the USA and changed the region in the config, but all that did was change the southern end of the DEM to purple and left the Northern half in Grass. It did remove the error though.

This may have to do with older routes having differently named data files. In previous versions of TRS19, the route would come in blank. The new "blank" is grass-textured.

From TS2009 onward, the data files, meaning for routes, tracks, etc. are named mapfile.obj, mapfile.trk, etc., instead route-name.obj etc.

There are two ways to get around this:

1) If you have TS12, install the route in TS12 and export as a CDP.

When you install the route in TS12, ignore any missing dependencies because you're only using this as an exporter and not editing the route in that version.
Open the route and do a save as.

This will create your version you can export.

2) Open up the route's folder in Windows Explorer.

Rename the following data-files from route-name to mapfile. As always first make a backup of the data to ensure nothing gets stuffed, so copy the folder to a safe location. (If you don't there's a guarantee something will go terribly wrong because it can!)

Example:

Here's the route files from my original route.
e & e-rev2.bmk
e & e-rev2.gnd
e & e-rev2.obs
e & e-rev2.trk

Renamed to:

mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile.lyr
mapfile.obs
mapfile.trc
mapfile.trk

You can keep the old files in the folder, TRS19 ignores them.

Now for the "tricky" part.

Drag the route-folder into Content Manager.

That will install the route and you should be good to go.

If you still have the bad version, submit the route if it the installer shows open for edit.

I just edited my post above. It originally recommended installing the route first in TRS04 which was Doh - Senior's moment - it should have been TS10.

When reading John's post it occurred to me that what is happening is that the TS10 import/save-as/export process changes the route's filenames to a format recognised by TS19....

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I just did a major housecleaning of my hard drive and removed all the previous versions and did a clean re-install of '19.
Hard drive space was getting a little cramped and I really wanted to see how life would be just keeping '19 installed. Well, that didn't last long...LOL
Anyone want to make a couple bucks converted a DEM? If not, I guess I'll be reinstalling '12. I'll be happy to pay for the time. I don't want nothing for nothing

Back