AI Interesting issue

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I have a route that I created many versions ago and now have updated for TS 2022.

I have lots of trains that are controlled by AI. They run from one passenger station to the next. In many cases the command line looked like <station1> <load> <station2> <load> etc. There were many signals between the stations. I found that if a (train a) was between stations 1 and 2, then a (train b) in station1 would not proceed to station2 until the (train a) had cleared the station2.

I solved this issue by putting a track mark close to station2, so my new command line read like <station1><load> <track mark><station2><load>. This solved my problem of AI trains just sitting there for a while and then all of a sudden starting up again.

I have other routes where an AI train just sits there for a while and then starts up again. My thoughts are that switches and stations may somehow make a distant track mark "invisible" to the AI driver. In those troublesome routes I am going to insert additional track marks along the way, especially if the are many switches and stations to see if this solves some of the problems with the AI driver.

It certainly fixed my one route. I have run it for 3 consecutive hours without any AI issues.

It's possible due to changes in the code that the AI now don't see past stations and see them as the destination and not past them. I have found that breaking up the longer stretches into blocks, similar to what you did with track-marks, by using distant signals, aka type 05s in JR and Auran/N3V naming. These signals allow the AI to move ahead because they only see as far as these signals, yet these are permissive so the AI will continue past them and on to their next destination which may be another signal or their actual destination.

What about this one..... I have passenger trains that stop at a station and load/unload passengers and the command isn't even in the command list!!

It's possible due to changes in the code that the AI now don't see past stations and see them as the destination and not past them. I have found that breaking up the longer stretches into blocks, similar to what you did with track-marks, by using distant signals, aka type 05s in JR and Auran/N3V naming. These signals allow the AI to move ahead because they only see as far as these signals, yet these are permissive so the AI will continue past them and on to their next destination which may be another signal or their actual destination.

I’ll give these distant signals a try. I have never used them due to lack of understanding their true function.

i do think however something has changed in the code controlling AI drivers in the last version or so. However for now adding more track marks seem to be the answer for me.

What about this one..... I have passenger trains that stop at a station and load/unload passengers and the command isn't even in the command list!!

I have seen this happen also. Perhaps at some types of stations the load/unload command is redundant under certain conditions.

I've had that occur too but it's due to moving really slow through the station and having the station script "grab" the train and unload and load it. It's very annoying when switching around a station.

Back