BBC promotes train Sim as good for heritage railways

You know, I've been thinking of setting up a stall at the local model railroad meetup and playing Trainz videos on a computer all day to advertise for N3V. I wonder if they'd allow it.

You know, I've been thinking of setting up a stall at the local model railroad meetup and playing Trainz videos on a computer all day to advertise for N3V. I wonder if they'd allow it.

My suggestion is to contact Tony to see about going about it. Auran used to do that in the past as the Trainz on the road program. Many of the longtime and old-time Trainzers were members of that group and did demos at train shows and museum events.

Another Trainzer and I did something like that unofficially, though. A fellow Trainz user and I were working on a bigger project for a local museum. I don't know the status of the project any longer because the museum ran into political issues and was forced to move from its location to a smaller venue nearby. Mike (Steamboateng) was working on a Hoosic Tunnel route for the Gateway Heritage Center and Museum located in North Adams, MA and I got involved with the project in various capacities. In July 2016, there was an event commemorating the 150th birthday of the White Mountain Cog Railway and their Old Peppersass locomotive which was put out on a road tour. The first stop on the road was in North Adams at the museum and heritage park.

In addition to the locomotive, which sat on a small cart in the middle of the walkway, there were booths and displays located under tents related to railroads and the Berkshire Railway had rides on the former B&A line out of the freight yard. Among the displays was the Boston and Maine Historical Society with all the former B&M bigwigs. Given the blistering heat, Mike and I got lucky and setup my then new Alienware laptop and a 30-inch LCD TV in the nicely air-conditioned historical society located in the same complex. On the laptop was the then new T: ANE running the not-quite-finished at all Hoosic Tunnel route featuring a steam locomotive pulling a passenger train to the tunnel and a freight going the opposite way. The tunnel didn't even exist and was only a portal entrance. The only texturing was right along the tracks and there was no catenary created yet for the tunnel.

Out of all the exhibits, our display was the most popular. Parents and kids alike came by to watch the route in action. After running, I let them play with T: ANE after showing them around the controls in both Driver and Surveyor. Quite a few parents inquired where to purchase the program and some people brought their kids back more than once to play with it. It was a lot of fun for all of us.

The long-retired bigwigs from the former B&M had a blast with it too and loved the accuracy of the landscape and tracks laid outside of the East Portal and remarked our ballast was too neat and clean if not totally out of place because there was no ballast on the railroad in the 1940s due to the B&M using old cinders instead of granite and then the cinders were pretty minimal at best. Once I showed these guys the controls, they were driving the trains too along the mainline back east towards Becket MA to end of track located about 10 baseboards away from the tunnel.

Last edited:
Honestly at this point I'd say Trainz is far more realistic looking than train Sim. Everything in Train Sim just looks liek the same, boring, drab weather and the whole game is just a cash grab, I mean have you seen the class 700? EVERYTHING for the game is payware!

I've been thinking of setting up a stall at the local model railroad meetup and playing Trainz videos on a computer all day to advertise for N3V. I wonder if they'd allow it.

I somehow suspect that it might not go down well with the organisers. You are essentially "selling" a low cost (far lower cost), easier to build and far more versatile Model Railroad system. If there are any stalls from model trains makers at the meetup they might not be impressed. So I would seek permission first. Just a thought.

On the matter of the BBC showcasing the British Train Sim, I suspect it would be a case of supporting your own local product over those from the "foreigners".

Last edited:
BBC got that all wrong, the piccie references the GWR Class 56xx. Which is DLC in Train Sim Classic.

The Liverpool - Crewe route, is recently released for TSW2.

Mike.

A few years back (18 actually! ) I was part of a group called the "ACT Trainz Modellers'. We had an Auran sanctioned 'Trainz on the Road' display at a few local model railways exhibitions. Maybe it was a mistake, but we also sold a (very!) few copies of Trainz, in the hope of fostering interest in 'Virtual Railway Modelling'. It all fell apart when one of the shows decided we were a commercial venture (none of us worked for Auran), and slugged us for a large fee for our stall. I have always had suspicions about their real agenda.

Back on subject, one of the great things about Trainz is that it enables me to present an historic model of the parts of the NSWGR railways network which (sadly) no longer exist.

Phil

Last edited:
On the matter of the BBC showcasing the British Train Sim, I suspect it would be a case of supporting your own local product over those from the "foreigners".

It’s a local news BBC page for Liverpool, so I would suggest it’s the location of the line that’s attracted attention rather than any other motivation.

It’s a local news BBC page for Liverpool, so I would suggest it’s the location of the line that’s attracted attention rather than any other motivation.

Buried in page 2 of the BBC North West Region page, wasn't aired on TV that I can recall. I wouldn't imagine a great number of Youngsters are going to be trawling through the BBC website, they will be on their Social media stuff.

EX GWR Pannier Tank 5643 is on the Severn Valley Railway or was last time I was there, which is nowhere near Crewe or Liverpool.

EX GWR Pannier Tank 5643 is on the Severn Valley Railway or was last time I was there, which is nowhere near Crewe or Liverpool.

Stock steam locomotive footage, not claimed as being historically accurate to the route.

Nobody but us geeks would care.

Buried in page 2 of the BBC North West Region page, wasn't aired on TV that I can recall. I wouldn't imagine a great number of Youngsters are going to be trawling through the BBC website, they will be on their Social media stuff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology is where I found it and it is still there. Not exactly buried in the regional bit.

Cheerio John

That's typical of a big news mainstream media organization.

Back