Sawmill Idea!

JonMyrlennBailey

I have Thompson Sawmill on my model layout. There are a few things I did to improve its looks.

Here are some ingredients:

Lumber Mill,<kuid:-25:630> by Auran

Truck Mack B61 dumper 01,<kuid2:68213:29046:3> by dinorius_redundicus (2 of 3 different models)

Loader Cat 966B 01,<kuid2:68213:29090:2> by dinorius_redundicus (1 of two models)

Shed8 work,<kuid2:97008:29308:3> by willem2 (My series of buildings and sheds based on our local town of Laidley Qld, Oz.)

canister of gasoline,<kuid2:201734:99000370:1> by coutumariee (Americans call this a gas can or a jeep can, 5 gallons)

The Auran lumber mill has two giant non-scale ugly green dump trucks along the track near the woodchips tower so I covered them up with the shed listed above. It is a metal building for housing equipment. I had to raise the shed off the ground slightly so the dump truck would not protrude through the roof. To accommodate raising the shed off the ground, I placed a concrete slab underneath as a foundation and put an inclined apron in front using 20 meter concrete slab spline that fits this shed perfectly from side wall to side wall. There are guys with chainsaws cutting logs so I put a chainsaw sound object underground that I modified from another sound object. There are two jeep cans there so the saws have fuel. One of my wheel loaders has no smoke because I locally modified it to remove the smoke because it is parked with the engine off in front of the shed. The Mack dump trucks look nice. The woodchips pile automatically builds up in this area but I can limited its size using Properties. This sawmill has a switch engine there to move cars in and out of the holding tracks to the log delivery and lumber loading tracks. The Prestonville district freight train picks up and delivers the sawmill's rolling stock. Kenworth trucks with logging trailers deliver logs to the log yard regularly to and from Holt's logging camp in a remote forest on the Route. Thompson converts harvested timber to lumber. I think I need to adjust that woodchips pile and make it smaller. Featured on the lumber mill content is the remainder of a flume chute no longer in service. I put a sign by it announcing that this equipment is retired. This flume is now something of a museum piece for the young workers to have a conversation piece over. Trains and trucks have long replaced flumes for log delivery. Some logging operations also use Goodyear blimps as lifting vehicles to move logs.

5p2Lvsv.jpg

Last edited:
I used a diesel engine sound object I made below the ground where the active loader is at. The active loader is working next to the woodchips pile with smoke coming out its stack. Here is a shot of the ugly dump trucks (giant "green dragons" that look like a five-year-old drew them in kindergarten) now hidden under the metal building. You can see the concrete slab floor. The free-roaming camera is inside the building so it looks invisible from the inside out. I don't know how to modify the lumber mill to remove these monstrosities.

ZKboXvH.png

8115360e-9de2-4c71-a251-faf581b46249

Last edited:
Don't know about this asset in particular, but I've made more basic versions of industries before by adding an alpha channel to the texture and making those parts I wanted gone transparent.

The mesh remains, but you can't see them.

You might want to hunt for an industry with "basic" in its name, as they are on the DLS and have minimal modeling so you can kitbash your own structures around it.

Don't know about this asset in particular, but I've made more basic versions of industries before by adding an alpha channel to the texture and making those parts I wanted gone transparent.

The mesh remains, but you can't see them.

You might want to hunt for an industry with "basic" in its name, as they are on the DLS and have minimal modeling so you can kitbash your own structures around it.

Lionel and other model train makers used to call trackside "industries" such as cattle-loading corrals, coal dumping stations and sawmills "operating accessories".

No thanks, I only like to hunt dove and deer. :D The DLS and the packaged-in content has everything I need to make a sawmill to suit my personal fancy without alpha channeling anything or meshing anything to boot. All that geeky jazz is not up my alley. I most often pick content off the shelf and make it work out for me somehow.

Last edited:
Back