Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for the folks around the Sydney area

Default Prayers for the folks around the Sydney area

Evacuations due to heavy rains and flooding in the suburbs. Prayers that everyone is safe and can return home soon.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Blog Entries

Much appreciated Forester.

Unfortunately for many of those people this is the third time this year that they have been flooded out.

The so-called "Once in a 100 year flood" has struck 3 times this year (so far)! The weather pattern at the centre of this, La Nina and the Indian Ocean Oscillation, is predicted to continue for several more months. So flood No.3 may not be the last in 2022.
    Development: Trainz Plus - b117699
    Testing: Trainz Plus beta - b118495

Ouch. Lets hope something comes along to push that out.
    I worked with a couple that bought a house on a golf course situated on a flood plain. A co-worker asked them if they were not concerned about flooding, but the response was "no, we're on the 500-year flood plain". My co-worker replied, "Well, every year is 500 years from sometime". Fortunately, the couple retired early and moved upstate, so it was never a worry.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    Unfortunately for many of those people this is the third time this year that they have been flooded out.

The so-called "Once in a 100 year flood" has struck 3 times this year (so far)! The weather pattern at the centre of this, La Nina and the Indian Ocean Oscillation, is predicted to continue for several more months. So flood No.3 may not be the last in 2022.
    It shows just how ineffective prayers are.
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP5 (117009), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB, 2x512GB SSD

Wow. Thanks for making it a theological debate. I am sure the people of Sydney appreciate your kind wishes. I guess we can lock this thread, you've said it all.

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

Lord have mercy .

God bless and comfort those who are suffering due to the flooding. May God bring you light and comfort, as only He can.

Amen.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for making it a theological debate. I am sure the people of Sydney appreciate your kind wishes. I guess we can lock this thread, you've said it all.
    The average Aussie isn't anywhere near as religious as the average American is Forester , many of us are a bit cynical about the use of this phrase as so many politicians throw it out as an automatic response and then do absolutely nothing to remedy the situation, here in oz we allocate 3% of the money we spend on flooding on mitigation , we need some action ,on climate and on relocating people who were allowed to build in flood prone areas or whose homes have been affected by overdevelopment that has now made them flood prone . We do appreciate your concern, but since under 50% of us identify as being religious , praying isn't seen as an automatic response to any disaster , as it is in your country, and even there the phrase can be seen as somthing of a cliche.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Very well put Dangavel.

Imho, some Americans have become way to hypocritical. A bible in one hand, and a gun in the other.

Regards Claus

Blog Entries

Getting back onto flood matters. I have just been reading a report of a family that moved into their home 12 months ago and yesterday were evacuated from that home for the 4th time due to floods.

Others in those regions are still recovering from the devastating bush fires that swept through the country Dec 2019 to Jan 2020, then to be locked down by Covid-19, followed by the floods that started 2021 and continue today. Australians consider themselves to be living in "The Lucky Country" but that luck has been severely tested these last few years.

Serious questions are being asked about housing development in "flood-prone" areas, bush fire zones and what exactly does the expression "once in 100 year flood" really mean?

Australia spends a huge quantity of taxpayer money on disaster relief to recover from floods, bush fires, drought, cyclones - fortunately earthquakes and tornados are not a significant danger here. Perhaps more of that money should be directed towards prevention including relocating towns and communities to safer ground. Several towns in recent months have suffered their first ever recorded floods. Official recorded history only goes back 200 years or less but local indigenous stories, passed down by word of mouth or song, go back much further and sometimes tell a different story. Perhaps we should have been paying more attention?

My thoughts.

I've just learned of the floods in Australia. I hope all goes well for the Australians, and I hope that we can start to focus more on these natural disasters, with them becoming more severe. I send my prayers out to you all. (Now, if you don't share the same faith in God that I do, then that's quite alright. I just hope all goes well regardless of what one's beliefs are.)
    Making incredibly slow progress on a number of Trainz routes and an LBSCR L Class. They'll come out... one day!

Build 117654

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cvo2010 View Post

Imho, some Americans have become way to hypocritical. A bible in one hand, and a gun in the other.

Regards Claus
    Imho, those "who have a Bible in one hand and a gun in the other" are not the ones who perpetrate the gun violence. It is for protection. If we didn't "have a gun in one hand" we would have never been able to gain our independence , help other countries in distress, free slaves and other noble tasks. God bless.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Imho, those "who have a Bible in one hand and a gun in the other" are not the ones who perpetrate the gun violence. It is for protection. If we didn't "have a gun in one hand" we would have never been able to gain our independence , help other countries in distress, free slaves and other noble tasks. God bless.
    Amen to that .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Hmm , you mention the positives ( and some of those are debatable) , but you skip all the negatives, the decimation of native people for a start, of which both the USA and Australia are guilty of doing and in which guns and bibles often played a major role.
    Your most recent gun massacre is a point in mind, offering any condolences over that seems pointless, it is another avoidable tragedy , here in oz we seem to have curbed our gun related massacres, in the case of the Us, there's no sign of a solution. Regrettably, religion and violence often accompany each other, we've seen various far right killings where the perpetrator had a racial and Christian religious agenda.
    This really isn't a forum to discuss this , but if you're going to put forward contentious views, I'm not going to leave them unchallenged. The world is full of hate and division, let's leave discussing that to other forums and get on with train talk here instead as we arent going to solve those issues , just create more resentment .
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Blog Entries

Very well put Dangavel. When I first read the statement "Bible in one hand and a gun in the other" in this thread I was horrified on so many levels that I initially hesitated to respond.

I note that in the USA the second biggest single cause of childhood and adolescent deaths is guns - car crashes being the first with the chief cause being inattention by drivers and pedestrians. Here in Australia you would have to look long and hard to find a single childhood or adolescent death caused by guns. Clearly, the "guns for protection" argument is false.

I was going to say something in defense of pware and dangavel, even as an American (albeit too young to own a weapon, but never will), but I do not want to upset people. I do hope that we can leave our own political and theological beliefs out of these forums. I hope that the Australians will be able to recover from this disaster, and that they will be able to learn from this and prepare for these disasters. Now, let's use these forums for what their purpose is, and let's talk Trainz. Not violence.

If this upsets people, I will remove this post so that nobody else becomes upset.
    Making incredibly slow progress on a number of Trainz routes and an LBSCR L Class. They'll come out... one day!

Build 117654