Trs19 crashing to desktop in driver mode (laptop)

ktain.ny

So I'm making a new thread about the same issue I had a few months ago. I'm sure a few others have had this problem as well so let's try and get to the bottom of it.

I have a gaming laptop, Acer Nitro 5. Geforce RTX 2060, 16gb ram, AMD Radeon 7 5800h @3.2ghz.

Now most of the time, my laptop is plugged into a dock and I play my games on an adjacent monitor. All good and well. Sometimes I go on trips etc and I take the laptop with me. Trainz is on the SSD drive.

When attempting to play the game on my laptop (always plugged in and fully charged when I play), the game crashes to desktop in driver mode only after 10-15 minutes. Curiously, the problem is unique to situations in which the laptop is not at my desk, plugged into the dock and all.

Here are the things I've ruled out
-Disk space. After going from 6 free gb to 40 free gb, the game still crashes.
-Heat (sort of). I've been keeping the machine off my lap, fans set to max, vents clear of anything blocking the hot air from exiting, and I've been playing on a glass coffee table. So I don't know if it's heat but I really doubt it.
-DB repair. Extended and normal. Doesn't make a difference.

Again... the game runs fine when the laptop is all hooked up to everything and at my desk. So maybe it is a heat issue? I really don't know. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

There's a couple of things here I can see off the bat.

1) The display setup is different, so there's a driver difference.

Try setting the resolution to match your laptop display while running on the laptop. It could also be a driver issue, so try updating your drivers to the latest ones and also check the support forums for the product to see what others are saying regarding similar issues with the hardware.

2) There still could be a heat problem.

If you can, raise the laptop off the table to allow for air circulation underneath where the vents and fans are. You may want to invest in one of those laptop cooling pads, which are basically flat tablets with small fans in them. They do a fair job cooling the machines down.

You may want to invest in one of those laptop cooling pads, which are basically flat tablets with small fans in them. They do a fair job cooling the machines down.

I will second that. My No. 2 Trainz computer is a Gaming laptop with an RTX 3050Ti GPU and I have it sitting on a cooling pad with two fans, powered by a USB cable from the laptop. The pad can be angled up into a number of different positions so that the keyboard does not have to lie flat. It does a good job at keeping the laptop cool when running Trainz.

I have an Alienware with a RTX 2070. It should work the same as your rig. Just check these settings. Right click on your desktop. There should be an option for NVIDIA Control Panel, choose that.

NVIDIA RTX Settings 00.jpg

Once you get it open click Manage 3D Settings on the left panel. Windows now manages these settings as shown, but look in any program that is in #1, should be set in #2 to Use global setting (Auto-select: NVIDIA GPU)

Then at the top click the link that says Windows graphic settings. Once that opens, make sure Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is On. Then below that click Browse to find your Trainz executable and set it to High performance. Hope this helps.

NVIDIA RTX Settings 01.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it!

I'm gonna try some of this stuff and report back with my findings.

I am not sure, but this may be a TRS19 problem. I run my route in TRS19 build 117009 and it will crash to desktop, at times, after running about 10 minutes. Run it TRS22 and no crash to desktop. I also thought it might be heat, but now I am not sure. It might be program usage of the system that the session you are running might need. I have a lot of industries and AI trains doing their thing.

If anyone comes across this thread in the future, I think I found the solution for the game crashing on laptops and in driver mode exclusively.

I'm currently running an Acer Nitro 5 Gaming laptop. I experienced crashing when playing the game in driver mode on my laptop, disconnected from any external monitor or screens or anything like that. I originally suspected the crashing was due to heat, lack of disk space, or possibly video drivers for the laptop screen itself--as I didn't experience any crashing when the machine was plugged into my full setup, with external mouse keyboard monitor, etc. None of these were the case.

After upgrading my storage on the laptop and eliminating that problem, I now realize that it's actually due to audio drivers. Trainz 19 crashes on my laptop in driver mode when using the default audio device... bizarre. When I plugged in my headset, no crashing.

I hope this helped someone.

Back