Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRS22 is fine

I stayed out of all the prior TRS22 threads, but I'll jump in here as an interested bystander (but not a regular member).

I purchased Trainz 2009, 2010 and T:ANE, and have stayed with T:ANE since then. It took up the majority of my prior computer's hard drive, a quarter of my newest computer's 1TB drive, and I never had an error-free-KUID route with assets. When my current PC had a crash and I had to reinstall Windows, I chose not to reinstall T:ANE.

For now, I've gone to Open Rails and MSTS (gasp!). It is scratching my train simulator itch (which is intermittent), has content that interests me, and is 100% asset complete. I don't mind if it's like watching TV instead of a CGI theater movie.

I'll keep an eye out for the Trainz franchise (like I still keep an eye on the Ship Simulator Extremes franchise), but for now I'm not coming back. I think it just outgrew my needs for the cost and complexity of setting it up and running it.

Open Rsils and MSTS don’t have native Mac versions and I don’t think they have as much content. Enjoy though.
    Trainz 2022 on Ventura. M1 Macs
    T Driver 3 iPhone SE2 iOS16

Quote Originally Posted by capdiamont View Post
    Open Rsils and MSTS don’t have native Mac versions and I don’t think they have as much content. Enjoy though.
    That's right. OpenRails and MSTS are Windows exclusive. That's definitely one of the main benefits of Trainz - very user-friendly, top-of-the-line route creation, over 600,000 assets available for free (free! now, some of those are just circles with a railcar... but 600,000+ for free!), and multiplatform. Definitely was happy to see that I could run T:ANE on my Mac 3 years ago (wow... I've owned TANE for nearly 5 years and first played it 3 years ago... time flies.)

Anyway, enjoy what works for you, man.
    Last edited by SRKing783; July 6th, 2022 at 06:45 AM.
    Making incredibly slow progress on a number of Trainz routes and an LBSCR L Class. They'll come out... one day!

Build 117654

Right, so anyway, what do other people think about TRS22? What are some features you’d like to see in future service patches or in the next version of Trainz? Come to think of it… wasn’t there a mention of some sort of Trainz NEXT software in a newsletter or two? I wonder what’s going on with that…
    Making incredibly slow progress on a number of Trainz routes and an LBSCR L Class. They'll come out... one day!

Build 117654

United States of America, Illinois, Rockford
    Blog Entries

Compared to TRS19 I think performance has been improved by a bit and the 'always saved to disk' feature seems to be working much better than TRS19 did. During the beta I had TRS22 crash on me before I could save so when I reloaded my route most if not all of the objects and textures were still there so I did a save before continuing with my work. Same thing happened in TRS19 and lost most of what I was working on (some was minor that I could just recover in the same day but other times too much was lost that I didn't work with Trainz until the following day).

What are some features you’d like to see in future service patches or in the next version of Trainz?
    Besides lots of bug fixes, the one and only feature I'd like to see a comback is offline DRM mode for whole game like how the box versions of TANE was and earlier versions of Trainz in general. I don't like online DRM for anything unless I'm paying a subscription for that item.
    DLCs I don't care about the online DRM as I hardly use them anyway.

Also yes there is a new Trainz NEXT game in the works according to the newsletter and that is TMR2. You can read about it in the image

Cheers
    Last edited by hiawathamr; July 10th, 2022 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added tmr2 reply

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Thank you for letting me know about what Trainz NEXT is. Looking forward to it!

I wholly agree with DRM - I don't like it at all that Trainz has DRM nowadays, and I think that some people might be buying newer versions of Trainz simply because their copy of TANE or TS12 (at least, I think only the DLC packs aren't working, right?) doesn't work anymore.

My main issue with these newer versions is optimization. I think performance is fine on my computer, as I consistently get around 60-90 FPS, so I'm not complaining about that. My laptop, in reviews (check my bio for my laptop's specs) has been given a lot of praise for being incredibly powerful yet the fans never spin up. No joke, Trainz made my fans spin up on higher settings. At full charge, I also always have around 8 hours left of battery as soon as I boot up Driver. Just Driver. Surveyor's fine, but not Driver. Do you guys have recommendations for performance settings that will still give me around 60 FPS but get a bit better battery? Or just leave them as-is? Here they are for my game:

https://imgur.com/a/0xbFhOF

https://imgur.com/a/gZhfR9C

Really, optimization is my main issue. My performance is just fine, and the game looks nice, but the only time the fans have audibly spun up for me were with this game on higher settings. I hope optimization is a bit better for the next mainline Trainz.

Build 117654

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

There's really not much you can do to squeeze more out of your laptop, maybe one of those laptop coolers might work. Lowering your draw distance will limit the load on the GPU, but nothing else. Trainz pushes that hardware right to its edge. TRS22 runs better than the others but as soon as you start terraforming and doing other CPU intensive work in Surveyor, your CPU will get hot, and the fans will crank up in addition your GPU already running at its limits with all the GPU stuff going on.

I've watched this with my own desktop, which is an i9 12900K, 64 GB RAM, and GTX 3080. I've helped the system stay a bit cooler by putting an extra fan on the case but there's not much else I can do with the CPU since DELL locked that down pretty tight.
    Last edited by JCitron; July 13th, 2022 at 07:55 PM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

Oh. Well, thanks for letting me know about that, John. I really hope that optimization gets fixed with a future TRS22 Service Patch. That is the major thing bugging me with the game, but even so, I know that optimization could be a lot worse, so... I dunno. I'll tinker a bit with graphics settings and see if there's any noticeable changes with lowering or raising some settings. Again, thanks for letting me know more about TRS22 and its performance.

Build 117654