Trainz Product Video Graphics Performance Settings Inquiry.

davies_mike57

Train Simulator Hobbyist
Trainz members,

In the Trainz startup setup there is a setting controlling the video sync.
Settings are Auto, Half Sync, or Full Sync.
By experimenting one has discovered that a PC graphics card performs a lot better when in the game setup of T:ane, and TRS19 are set to Half Sync.
Noticed that when in half sync mode less video memory is used and the frame rate increased in driver mode.
The video display is slightly darker in Half Sync mode.

Just curious does anyone know how the Trainz video Auto Sync setting actually works ?

Mike Davies

My video display is capable of a refresh rate of 144Hz and I ran Trainz at that setting with Vert Sync set to None. On a whim I reset Trainz to run at the 60Hz option with sync still on None. I now notice that my GPU now runs cooler and quieter (fan noise is down) but without any noticeable difference to the Trainz performance.

Interesting, somewhat confusing and complex topic.

Here is a summary of what I have gleaned from various articles on the topic of Vsync:-

Vsync ON:
If the fps from your GPU is higher than the fps that your video monitor can handle then you will get "tearing" where, essentially, the frame you see can be a composite of one frame and the next frame. A bit like tearing out half of one page in a book so that when you turn to that page you see parts of two pages - e.g. the bottom part of the torn page and the top part of the next page. Turning Vsync on removes this problem.

Locking the Vsync to half means the fps of both the GPU and the monitor will be restricted to half the normal refresh rate, usually to 30fps. Full means they will be locked to the full refresh rate, which usually means 60fps.

Vsync OFF:
If the fps of your GPU is lower than the fps of your video monitor then you can get "lagging" where there is small but often noticeable delay in the displaying of frames on the screen (a "stutter") because the GPU refresh rate cannot keep up with the video displays refresh rate. Turning Vsync off removes this problem.

Modern GPUs have automated the choice between these two options with a system called Adaptive Vsync (and various other names). Essentially, the GPU decides when to turn Vsync on or off according to the "feedback" it receives from the video monitor. I would presume that setting the Vsync to None would enable this Adaptive Vsync, and similar, feature.

My (somewhat limited) understanding.

Thanks for the replies Tony, pware
The Trainz portal topic very informative.

With my GT 730 card and a 60 HZ maximum screen the TS12 product on half sync rate also stays around the 30 fps mark (very smooth running).
With TANE and TRS19 the frame rate will sometimes drop under 30 depending on the object density of the graphics located on a route map.

Also noticed that the GPU card set to Adaptive mode reduces PC power consumption but with a slight drop in performance.

Very satisfied with the results with Trainz running on my current PC hardware.

Upgrade the PC hardware for better results.

Trainz Members:

With reference to this old comment might want to add that I recently updated my computer from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home by:
completely wiping the hard drive reformatting and doing a clean install of Windows 10 then reloading TS12, TANE, TRS19 again from Steam.
A vast improvement in speed and video quality noticed in the running of the gaming products.
Well worth the upgrade considering that Steam no longer supports Win7 in Jan 2024.

Happy trainspotting
davies_mike57

Back