Airport and Air Flight Screenshots (Warning Large Screenshots)

lewisner

There was an airfield right next to the line on my Malton & Driffield route at RAF Driffield and I've recently gone down a bit of rabbit hole where I have become interested in airports. Since there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to this I thought I would start this one. I'm mainly interested in seeing Aiports, Airfields - with or without rail connections, air flight and everything connected with it. I started building the airfield during Covid lockdown but took it up again recently. I have to admit that 2 years ago I knew nothing at all about this subject and still only know a little so I can't offer expert opinions.
A general view looking east. The airfield was known as a Class A airfield since its 3 runways formed a large "A".

RAF Driffield Runways 23.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Looking north. A complication of building this place was that it and the 4 housing estates surrounding it weren't shown on Ordnance Survey maps till 1970 !

RAF Driffield 2 27.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Looking west. Most of the airfield was abandoned in 1996 and the centre part with offices and housing is covered in dense vegetation and earmarked for demolition.

RAF Driffield 3 27.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Hello Lewisner,

Welcome in this airport activity. We were missing such a thread!
I made several attempts to reproduce airports, but I am very bad in such activity.
Looking forward to see more nice pics.

Hello Lewisner,

Welcome in this airport activity. We were missing such a thread!
I made several attempts to reproduce airports, but I am very bad in such activity.
Looking forward to see more nice pics.

Thanks ! It didn't seem to make any sense to put my photos in the New Aircraft thread because I don't create aircraft. Here is A3 "Neil Gow" passing the airfield ammo dump as a Wellington bomber has just taken off.

A3 Neil Gow Driffield Airfield 2.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Nice pic!
Should you need a particular aircraft livery, just send me a pm.

That's very kind of you !
One of todays jobs has been to try and simulate the control tower seen below in this 1955 photo. I've used "Airport Control Tower Duxford" and wrapped it in a skin of concrete wall.

https://www.controltowers.co.uk/d/driffield.htm

driffield.htm

driffield.htm

RAF Driffield Control Tower 28.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

I find this new Thread both fascinating and much needed,

Pictures and informational dialog makes for a good read and primer if one wants to construct different airport types. The

Sky is the limit only hampered by ones GPU Strengths, and if I read your list of Computer Components correctly, I am impressed with 32 GB of Video Ram onboard, I didn't realize there with GPU's with that much muscle. Impressive Sir.

NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU-32GB

There is one thing I have admired in this Forum, it is a treasure trove of Experience, and you Sir just made my point with your new thread. ;)

Thank you for sharing, and hope to see some good participation with other examples of how to build airports in Trainz World.

I bid you a good evening! :wave:

I find this new Thread both fascinating and much needed,

Pictures and informational dialog makes for a good read and primer if one wants to construct different airport types. The

Sky is the limit only hampered by ones GPU Strengths, and if I read your list of Computer Components correctly, I am impressed with 32 GB of Video Ram onboard, I didn't realize there with GPU's with that much muscle. Impressive Sir.

NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU-32GB

There is one thing I have admired in this Forum, it is a treasure trove of Experience, and you Sir just made my point with your new thread. ;)

Thank you for sharing, and hope to see some good participation with other examples of how to build airports in Trainz World.

I bid you a good evening! :wave:

Thanks, the bit in my signature line which makes it look like my GPU has 32GB RAM is a typo. In fact my PC is an antique which I built in 2015 and it desperately needs upgrading but I have lost interest in computer building. It still handles the graphics competently though. There are several videos of the airfield by "urban explorers" and this is a good example but unfortunately they mainly concentrate on building interiors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9KAXzEOlMM&t=55s

Last edited:
My fully working Heathrow airport with the projected third runway in place. All aircraft land and take off on a random basis from the waiting areas.

Last edited:
Awesome videos Stagecoach, reminds me of the airport at Mini Wunderland in Hamburg. The only nitpick is not to you, but whoever made Air Force 1 in the middle video. The American flag on the right side of the tail should be reversed as if it is blowing back in the wind. Similar to the right shoulder patch on U. S. military uniforms, as the flag should appear to be advancing, not retreating. But your work on Heathrow, with the AI is amazing!

Thanks, Forester1
That was an old one from 2014 by Vulcan. The AI aircraft must collect a token to enter the runway for landing or take off. No matter how many aircraft are waiting only one can collect the token and the others have to wait until it is released. Once released a random aircraft will collect it and move onto the runway or gain permission to land. Once it passes a point on the runway it will release the token. Aircraft can move onto the runway while the one in front is still taking off. It then has to wait for the EIT Path to clear before he can then take off. The token would be equal to the air traffic controller giving permission to land, cross, or enter the runway.
You only need to set up an aircraft to the holding area and from the flight path exit. All the movements for the holding area and runway are in the schedule library. Each of the three runways act independently of each other so planes can be seen landing and taking off at the same time. I have three categories of aircraft depending on size and three different lengths of landing and take-off.

Those are great videos ! I mentioned to one guy on Youtube who posted Flight Simulator videos that I had built an airfield in Train 2019 and he was surprised that you could do that. If it was ever possible to have independent flight in Trainz it would have the best of both worlds.

Here is a short tour of the airfield fllowed by a couple of circuits with a Gloster Meteor which were based at the airfield. I downloaded this plane last night and it is so beautiful I just had to make a video with it.

I've been creating an airfield with historic aircraft as part of a larger virtual transport museum featuring all kinds of vehicles but it is still very much WIP. I've added invisible track to the runway and taxiways so the aircraft can take off so it is kind of operational. It's great to see the airfield/airports other Trainzers have came up with and very inspiring. I am building a passenger airport in my main route and will take some shots next time I open that route.
GT-Transport-Museum%27s-airfield..jpg

GT-Transport-Museum%27s-airfield.jpg

GT-Transport-Museum%27s-airfield.jpg

Hi guys, nice idea for this thread and good to see some of the aircraft being used. I have not made any new aircraft for a while but will get back to it, nearly finished a Vampire.

When testing my Air Tractor models, I made a small map, some pictures.

The AT Crop Spraying Services depot, with the Air Tractor AT802A and the N3N-3 aircraft:

airport1.jpg

The heliport with a Eurocopter Dolphin HH65 awaiting startup:

airport2.jpg

The At902 spraying crops:

airport4.jpg

Ian

I am really enjoying this thread; it is great to see all of these creative ideas! Stagecoach, regarding your token system, that it a wonderfully creative method of programming for handling AI traffic control!

Back