Schedule or Timetable?

boleyd

Just looked through the commands and responses and I can see nothing that would produce a timetable or schedule. Are there any projects planned toward the production of a schedule or timetable? Or, is there one of the two and I simply do not understand the coding of the program?

A timetable or scheduling option is one of the most requested "missing features" of Trainz.

I am not a programmer so I have no idea of how such a feature could be built into the code or how easy or difficult it would be. I suspect that it may not be easy - as in a real railroad there would be so many variables or issues such as how to deal with late running, signal or junction faults (e.g. junction or signal locked by another train), derailments, etc.

Just looked through the commands and responses and I can see nothing that would produce a timetable or schedule. Are there any projects planned toward the production of a schedule or timetable? Or, is there one of the two and I simply do not understand the coding of the program?

The <kuid:-3:10185> Schedule Rule [AURAN] ("it") is still available on the DLS. Since T:ANE, it no longer controls AI drivers correctly. However it can still be useful for keeping the human driver informed of the schedule in a session because it continues to log arrivals, departures and shows the times of the next halt, at least in T:ANE.

As such it's easier than working up an HTML graphic -- I've used both methods. There is at least one trouble ticket in on it, say three years old. As a dead letter, it's hard to say how long it will retain any functionality.

:B~\

Best implementation is by pguy - worth checking out:
<kuid2:61392:8406:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Full session with TimeTable

Best implementation is by pguy - worth checking out:
<kuid2:61392:8406:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Full session with TimeTable

I had a go with this. As far as I can see, the session seems to lead to some sort of Mexican stand-off with all the trains trapped on red signals. Perhaps I've missed how it's meant to work?

Paul

Hi.

What Tony has forgotten toi mention is that the Stops And Timetables rule, which implements the underlying timetables, works only in the context of routes/sessions using Enhanced Interlocking Tower for path settings and Mission Code Manager for global routing of all trains on the map. It needs also to use MCPathStop objects instead of track marks to set the stops location on the map.
It works fine and efficiently in such context, but is useless on maps not using EITs, MCM or not using MCPathStops.

Regards.
Pierre.

Hi Pierre and others,
Is there a guide to setting up these objects on a route that does not have them? I've seen these Enhanced Interlocking Towers before, but have no idea how to use them.

Hi.

Currently, there are some help pages in the wiki that describes the functionalities and configuration parameters for Enhanced Interlocking Towers and Mission Code Manger, but these are more help pages than a guide on how to use EITs and MCM.

You can find these pages at :
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Enhanced_Interlocking_Tower
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/MissionCodes_Manager
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Mission_Code_Stops_and_TimeTables_Manager

There is also on the DLS a demo route <kuid2:61392:8401:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 with several demo session
<kuid2:61392:8402:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Full session with MCM
<kuid2:61392:8403:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Simple session without MCM
<kuid2:61392:8404:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Full session with MCM Dynamic
<kuid2:61392:8405:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK 1 - Simple session without MCM Dynamic
<kuid2:61392:8406:6> EIT DemoRoute - UK1 - Full session with TimeTable

These session are only demo examples on different manners to use EITs, MCM and STT. Beginners should start by looking at <kuid2:61392:8403:6> Simple session without MCM that shows how to use only EITs, MCPathStop using explicit ITSetPath driver commands in the trains schedules to set and activate the paths to be used.

What is currently missing are some tutorial videos explaining how to prepare a map (route+session) for EITs and MCM operation and the successive steps to follow to configure everything to your need. If I have some time during this summer, may be I can try to make this video for beginners …

If you are not reluctant to follow a YouTube video in French, there are also some YouTube video in French made by Phil08481 and named TRS2019 : utilisation des Interlocking Tower en conduite manuelle that mat help to use EIT for driving trains in manual mode.

Final way to have some help on how to use and configure EIT, +MCM, … just create in the Surveyors , Operators & Engineers a new thread How to use EITs MCM and post your questions there and I will certainly give you some answers or advice on how to use EITs, MCM, … with great pleasure. If you have some very specific questions or cases to analyse, just send me a private message and we can see together how to configure and use EITs in such situation.

Hope this may help.
Regards.
Pierre.

A question arises - is the EIT process typical or atypical of how a railroad runs it's operations? I have used it but the context seems like a high level computer program and errors can be difficult to pinpoint. Now, that was a few years ago. If a closer relationship to the real-world rail ops has been made then it takes on a different, more relevant, character. I'll take another look.

When you say 'schedule,' I think you can go into the driver settings of a session and manually input where you want a train to go, what you want it to do and etc, however that's a bit cumbersome.

The EIT is an imperfect solution at best.
Trainz is crying out for something along the lines of the old MSTS Activity Editor or the more contemporary version in Open Rails. That even allows you to specify what an inward working forms on departure.
The TSC editor also lets you set up a timetabled run.
TSW is of course locked down but however the system works a complete timetable for the whole day of operations, including complex shunting moves, is usually included. Again trains either exit or enter via portals or remain on the route to form next workings.
This should be integrated in Trainz as part of its core functionality and in as easy as possible means for the end user to work with.

It also goes without saying this should be accompanied by full autonomous signaller/despatcher, as the other oft requested feature - let's get rid of the player having to fathom out and set the route ahead of their train.

Even Run 8 now has "Otto" the AI despatcher, so if a small essentially part time developer can do it, surely a software house like N3V has the resources and capability to do so. When you're charging £55 for your next iteration of the programme, it's time to bring something new to the table.

Back