WHY??????

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Hello everyone, I've recently done an EDBR and noticed that several builtin assets reverted to .texture files, not .tga or .png files. This initially killed me (figuratively) and you may have seen my earlier edit. How come this is the case? Why does this happen? Thanks!

Last edited:
Highlight the faulty assets and revert to original or Highlight faulty assets, view errors and warnings which are probably none.

When running a EDBR, check disk activity has finished before doing anything else, the EDBR may have finished but Windows disk caching often hasn't and may take a while.

Had a look at everything, and it turns out the .texture files need fixing for many assets (it was easy), however the EMD Hood Unit Interior has some blank .texture files that I can't convert to .tga's. How do I fix this?

If they are .texture files you should always right click revert to original, as they will have been packaged or built in.

This missing textures fault is now a big problem especially when moving older freeware kuid stuff from TS12 or TANE into TRS19 upwards.
Can be manually fixed up using the AssetX program.
With any purchased payware stuff it is best to re-download from the DLS directly into TRS19.

It seems to me to be a bit hypocritical, as a lot of N3V built-in assets still have .texture files and they don't come up faulty, but anyone ELSES files will. They seem to give themselves a pass somehow.

It seems to me to be a bit hypocritical, as a lot of N3V built-in assets still have .texture files and they don't come up faulty, but anyone ELSES files will. They seem to give themselves a pass somehow.

Incorrect, Forester1.

A built-in asset opened up for edit and cloned or submitted will usually end up with .texture file errors. In fact all assets have the .texture files except that it's bit different with built-ins and DLC. While regular assets have these files as well, the built-ins cause the complaints because there are no other files associated with them. Remember everything is in packages these days and in the olden days everything built-in was in .JA files.

The reason for the errors is simple and is related to the game engine. The .texture file is an internal file format used by Trainz and is the binary compressed form of the texture.txt file and the texture file. This compressed form is read by the game-engine and decompressed on the fly for use. The issue we see is that compressed format, meaning the .texture file isn't recognized outside of the game engine and is "exposed" and causes Content Manager to complain.

John is right, the difference is that 3rd party assets retain the original image file that the .texture file is made from while N3V removes the image file to save disk space since it is unnecessary for the asset to work in game. It is easy to use Asset X or Images2TGA to recreate the image file from the .texture file.

Back