Trainz Paint Shed Question

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
I recently downloaded a copy of Trainz Paint Shed 1.6, I just want to play around with it for what ever reason.

It does not work with my current versions of Trainz, but while searching the web, it says it works with 2006 and 2008 (probably more),

So the question is, what is the best version of Trainz to get it to work with a Win 10 PC, and if I buy an unsealed disc from a site like eBay, can I still register it here (TRS and Paint Shed, both)?

I have used Paintshed content in Trainz 2010 (my own reskins and others from the DLS), albeit with TRS 2010 running in Compatability Mode, as in newer versions Paintshed content seems to throw up lots of warnings. I'm not sure if it runs in 2012 though (which lacks Compatability Mode).

From what I understand recent versions like TANE, TS19 and now TS22 require the content to be error fixed in order to work sadly.

I have used Paintshed content in Trainz 2010 (my own reskins and others from the DLS), albeit with TRS 2010 running in Compatability Mode, as in newer versions Paintshed content seems to throw up lots of warnings. I'm not sure if it runs in 2012 though (which lacks Compatability Mode).

From what I understand recent versions like TANE, TS19 and now TS22 require the content to be error fixed in order to work sadly.

I have Trainz Simulator 2010: Engineers Edition, but not installed on my current systems. I believe I got it with some sort of promotion N3V had in the past. Where is a link to re-download it? I have the serial number and it was a digital download only with the promotion. I looked under all the links on My Trainz and only found the serial number, no download link.

It would be great to be able to see it work, even with the errors, of which I know how to fix alot of them.

Thank you Enkidoh for shedding (pun intended) some light on the subject.

Edit: just checked and not found under Legacy Order History

Last edited:
I recently downloaded a copy of Trainz Paint Shed 1.6, I just want to play around with it for what ever reason.

It does not work with my current versions of Trainz, but while searching the web, it says it works with 2006 and 2008 (probably more),

Paint Shed... used this a lot when I was younger with UTC back in the days :D
No, IIRC TRS2006 (maybe TRS2007 - don't quote me) was the last version of Trainz that officially supported Paint Shed. Newer versions from TS2009 moved on with different file and texture structures but there are some Trainzers that managed to get Paint Shed to work with the newer versions. I won't bother using it for TANE or newer as Paint Shed's file and texture structures aren't supported nor does Trainz like using it (and will be honest, it won't look good anyway these days lol).

So the question is, what is the best version of Trainz to get it to work with a Win 10 PC, and if I buy an unsealed disc from a site like eBay, can I still register it here (TRS and Paint Shed, both)?

If you are able to find a brand new factory sealed copy then yes you can register it to your Trainz account. There have been a few lucky buyers from eBay that bought used copies and were able to register as the seller had no idea what they were talking about when they messaged if the serial number has been registered or not (attempting to register a used serial number will limit your account so you'll have to contact the helpdesk to get it resolved). Best to message the seller to find out if they know what you are talking about if the serial number has been registered or not.

Upon registering the serial number, you might however will need to contact the helpdesk so they refresh your timeline as legacy versions don't always appear automatically on your timeline.

For Trainz games that are the best (at least to me) Ultimate Trainz Collection comes with Paint Shed - the UTC edition. TRS2004 deluxe comes with its own copy of Paint Shed as well so if you want Trainz and Paint shed together I would start with these.

Cheers

Last edited:
Paintshed was an addon to Trainz, and included in UTC bundle which was Trainz 1.5 and Paintshed. It worked fine with TRS2004 as a standalone product. TRS2006 had it builtin to CMP since TRS2006 was the first trainz version to use a database structure for content. Early versions stored third party content in plain folders and had to parse those folders every time you started the program. TRS2007 was the European release of TRS2006 which also included Paintshed in CMP. Paint shed worked by allowing users to use templates to create skins that were aliased to Paintshed meshes. So you had to have those Paintshed meshes as built-in assets for your creations to work. They were included to at least TS2009 as I remember but they may have been also been in TS2010. As mentioned above they didn't make it into TS12. The recommended practice was to take the old mesh from an older version and add it to your asset's folder and reference it directly rather than as an alias. Of course, you had to fix the errors that showed up when committing. There were tons of paintshed assets on the DLS that were fixed this way by the CRG I believe. Of course, the meshes are crude and you had to replace the horrible bogies but it could be done. You were limited to just the meshes that worked with Paintshed. It didn't work with other meshes.

Search the DLS for assets with Paintshed in the description and you will find assets that were repaired to work in TS12. It gives you an idea of the meshes that were included.

Edit: Looking in TS12 there are some built-in assets that are paintshed aliases so the meshes must be included. They are marked by a white P in a red box in CMP. So if the standalone Paintshed can produce a folder with your creation inside you should be able to import the folder into TS12. Have fun fixing all the errors.

Last edited:
Back