FAST Key Not Working

boleyd

The SHIFT Speed-Up, or Fast key, is not working in 2022. Works ok in 2019. Was working yesterday. Restarted and different routes but the Shift has no effect on the processing speed. I use this key a lot when debugging sessions. Anybody experience this in 2022 today or do I have broken load.

Never heard of that before. Exactly how does it, or should it, work?

If you press SHIFT with a running scenario (engines moving) the scenario will operate at a higher speed (maybe 2X). I use it all the time to do a fast test since all of the functions seem to operate ok and it cuts down on watching the normal speed train(s) running which can be exasperating when debugging a scenario. :)

You need to enable debug-mode in settings while in Trainz. The checkbox is second from the bottom in General Settings.

In my install the Settings/General, second from bottom, is Manage content as thumbnails. This is the same as 2019. I do recall something about "debug" setting. Seems to be the right ballpark but the wrong base. Something is weird here. There is a linkage between 2019 and 2022 in the Performance selection. You can't have the selection in both versions simultaneously.

I now wonder that since I discovered that there is a relationship between the two programs when selecting Performance that this caused the problem. Last night I had both open and was comparing settings. Obviously performance was one of them. It was then that I discovered both versions on Performance resulted in any change in one cause the other to react. I did not pay any real attention and just moved on as there was no immediate harm. I am betting I need a now install of 2022.

If so I am guessing that no changes are needed to the installed data base and just setting the file reference on the new load should be ok.

Last edited:
That's odd because the setting hasn't moved since it was added in TANE.

The performance settings in one version shouldn't affect the other unless you're not running TRS19 and TRS22 on the same database? That can cause weird things and seriously corrupt data too because the versions are different.

I agree, a new TRS22 install might be a solution. If you do, copy your current data and call the folder something else then point TRS22 to that one to ensure it's no longer anywhere near TRS19.

The Manage as thumbnails is on the splash screen panel general options which is NOT where you want to be.

You need to launch the game and then in the "in game" "Settings" - "General settings" check/uncheck the 2nd from bottom "Enable debug features." At least, that's what I see here.... in both TRS19 and '22.

If you press SHIFT with a running scenario (engines moving) the scenario will operate at a higher speed (maybe 2X). I use it all the time to do a fast test since all of the functions seem to operate ok and it cuts down on watching the normal speed train(s) running which can be exasperating when debugging a scenario. :)

You learn something everyday in Trainz. I never knew the simulator had this feature. I will be using it alot now that I know about it. Also would be nice at times while recording video. Thank you Dick!

In build 117669 Trainz Plus (aka TRS22) the checkbox is called "Enable Advanced Debug Tools" and it is the TOP checkbox in the Dev tab. I do not recall it ever being anywhere else but for me it has always been a "set and forget" option so maybe the "forget" part has something to do with that.

The Manage as thumbnails is on the splash screen panel general options which is NOT where you want to be.

You need to launch the game and then in the "in game" "Settings" - "General settings" check/uncheck the 2nd from bottom "Enable debug features." At least, that's what I see here.... in both TRS19 and '22.

Thanks

That worked. I was getting ready to re-install. Probably saved me from a disaster.

As I was reviewing my option settings I probably decided that option was dangerous.
Paranoia can be a liability.

Well, it stopped working again and the Enable Advanced Debug was/is checked. It was working and one morning it stopped.
Rather than risk making an error when re-installing, I'll wait for an update to see what happens. Some value/event combination kills it.

Well, it stopped working again and the Enable Advanced Debug was/is checked. It was working and one morning it stopped.
Rather than risk making an error when re-installing, I'll wait for an update to see what happens. Some value/event combination kills it.
Dick, You had the same or similar issue back in October of 2022 and it was solved then so your saying the setting IN GAME is not there anymore and it quit working well i hate to say it like others have said ITS working fine on my end as I write this in here.... something has defiantly gone corrupt on your end something got messed up someplace somewhere while working on the game ON YOUR END... I would go back into trainz and this option is not found in the Launcher settings but the IN GAME settings Like JCitron has stated before in recent comments... so i would also look at what your posting and where because the issue was solved back in October 2022 a post by you none the less having the same issue.

I agree with Retrorails12. I just tested the Driver Speed Up (Shift key) feature in both builds 122411 and 123315 of Trainz Plus and it is working exactly as expected.

Dick, You had the same or similar issue back in October of 2022 and it was solved then so your saying the setting IN GAME is not there anymore and it quit working well i hate to say it like others have said ITS working fine on my end as I write this in here.... something has defiantly gone corrupt on your end something got messed up someplace somewhere while working on the game ON YOUR END... I would go back into trainz and this option is not found in the Launcher settings but the IN GAME settings Like JCitron has stated before in recent comments... so i would also look at what your posting and where because the issue was solved back in October 2022 a post by you none the less having the same issue.

/

Back