Trainz 2022 doesn't use Radeon graphics card in MacBook Pro

dinsdale

Hi People,

Rather concerned that my Trainz 2022 doesn't access the Radeon Pro 560X in my MacBook Pro. Is it supposed to? Can I force it to?

Andrew

Most definitely yes it should.

To check which GPU is being used, run the "Send logs to N3V" option in Trainz Settings > Install tab.

Copy and paste the text into notes and search for GPU.

Also check that your system supports Metal (hardware and OS version).

Thanks Tony,

Here is the relevant section of the logs:

Host OS: Version 12.4 (Build 21F79)
Metal Device: AMD Radeon Pro 560X (lowPower:NO removable:NO headless:NO unifiedMemory:NO location:MTLDeviceLocationBuiltIn gpuFamily:MTLGPUFamilyMac2)
API: Metal
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 560X

Which tells me the Radeon is active. But when I use Activity Monitor to see what cards are being used the Radeon isn't active.

I also have Train Simulator 22 running under Crossover which has better graphic performance than Trainz, and Activity Monitor is showing the Radeon is active.

So still puzzled.

Andrew

Thanks Tony,

Activity Monitor is still showing Graphics Card=No although at the bottom it shows Graphics Card High Performance. Activity Monitor doesn't show the Intel UHD as available.

But I've just found the GPU History report which clearly shows it running albeit at 100%.

Andrew

Sounds like a big on AM then.
If you're able to force the Intel gpu to run, then you'll know for certain.

Thanks Tony. Found the solution is to turn off Auto switching to force the Radeon to be active in the bottom panel of Activity Monitor. When I switch if on, the card being shown active at the bottom of Activity Monitor is the Intel. Hopefully Trainz can do that within the software.

Andrew

Back