I'm getting a lot of this lately...

smyers

Remember when this anomaly was common...

KjcDtOn.jpg

I thought it was due to mixing PBR and non-PBR textures, but all textures here are PBR. I am now at build 117009 and I don't recall having this a week or so ago. Any ideas?

Many Thanks,
smyers

Not a clue yet, however I have seen this on one of my TANE route that has no PBR on it, when running it in TRS19 and TRS22 pretty sure it was OK in TRS19 SP4.

What is your Shader Quality setting (Trainz Settings --> Performance tab)? If it is at Ultra change it to Standard. That fixed the issue for me.

That's fine for non PBR routes not so good for PBR ones though, it needs fixing properly, I suspect the PBR grid has been slightly shifted again.... Last time was when it was burying stuff and it got fixed in a patch, think it was in Plus awhile back.

Adjusting the Shader Quality helped, pware, many thanks. Perhaps I inadvertently moved it at some point, though I don't remember doing so. It sure looked like the PBR grid had shifted, clam1952, every time there's a patch issued it seems they fix one thing and break another. My switching routes, which use an unballasted track don't seem to be a problem. But my Norm Charbonneau route was using a ballasted track.

Many Thanks,
smyers

Most likely due to different scale settings of the various PBR textures.

I find that I get best results with textures under the track with a scale setting of one step up from the minimum.

Phil

Concur with philskene's assessment above. With all-PBR textures under/ around track and road splines, setting the PBR scale to a minimal level at the time of application really helps reduce the phenomenon observed by the OP. Suggest reapply the same textures in areas where this is apparent and - with scale settings reduced to a minimum - observe the difference.
Changing the Shader Quality settings from Ultra to High or less will obviously impact the rendering of PBR assets and is really not a solution to judicious PBR parallax application/ scaling in the first place.
I keep mine at Ultra and retain all the benefits.

Last edited:
I am sure all the PBR issues will get sorted out over time. I keep my shader settings at standard at the present time since I just don't want to deal with the issues with my older routes. I probably am missing some extra "eye candy" on the textures, but the tradeoff for me is worth it. When I am replacing old textures with the new PBR textures that alone is a great improvement in most cases. The new ones look pretty good even in the standard shader mode.

Thanks for your help, everyone. The Shader setting worked for me. I don't see any remarkable decrease in quality at all, thankfully, though there may be some that I just don't notice. I have been using the minimum brush size and scaling most of the time. I wish it were much smaller so we could get into tight spaces. Far and away my most often used textures are by johnnyC1, except for the decaying streets, which are by yours truly.

Best to All,
smyers

I'll still stand by my assertion that it's because of the scale setting.

It's easy enough to test. Lay a section of track. Select a PBR texture and paint under the track. Using the same texture change the scale setting and paint over a section of the previous painting. You should see the effect in your original screen shot.

If using different PBR textures, as you have, you may need to modify the scale setting of one of the textures to avoid your issue -- a scale setting of 1 for one texture might not be the same as a scale setting of 1 for another texture. Experiment.

Phil
_____

Edit:

Just done a bit of experimenting. I downloaded your City textures (they are excellent, by the way, but do lack a winter snow texture). For some reason they do not match the other PBR textures I've been using, no matter what scale settings I use.

In my layouts, for example, I've never had any issues with, say, PBR Mud Dry 1 - Seasonal (one of my favorites). It works perfectly under the track with PBR Foliage 3, PBR Gravel 2 - Seasonal, ... provided the scale settings are the same. But I can't get any of those PBR textures to work with any of your textures.

Last edited:
You should see the effect in your original screen shot.

Correct. I can make this happen. Some more than others, for example, a texture with say larger ballast stones. Now that I'm aware of this, I'll be more careful.

Many Thanks,
smyers

"More careful."

I look at your layouts and think "Wow, just look at all the care and attention to detail that has been put into this."

Back