Concrete Texture Problem

lewisner

Hello everyone, for a couple of years on and off I have been trying to simulate RAF Driffield airfield on my Malton & Driffield route. The taxiways were concrete and the nearest thing I could find was Concrete base 17x10m spline by Nexusdj, kuid:45317;105151. The problem is that in my game it renders as brilliant white, so white that it hurts my eyes. There's a dirty version but it renders as brown. When I open the spline in Explorer?GIMP it looks like actual concrete the way it presumably should look. Is there any way I can adjust my settings to make it look like concrete ? PS I have searched for hours using the terms 17m , concrete, taxiway and runway and not found any replacement for it.

Driffield Airfield Concrete Texture by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
I use a texture for runways and parking areas in Heathrow Airport. I then place grass splines to sharpen the edge area of the concrete. Textures allow for a mixture of cracked concrete and newish concrete to show older taxi ways and well-used ones.
Heathrow-airport-Expansion-for-runway-3-and-terminal-6.jpg

Hello everyone, for a couple of years on and off I have been trying to simulate RAF Driffield airfield on my Malton & Driffield route. The taxiways were concrete and the nearest thing I could find was Concrete base 17x10m spline by Nexusdj, kuid:45317;105151. The problem is that in my game it renders as brilliant white, so white that it hurts my eyes. There's a dirty version but it renders as brown. When I open the spline in Explorer?GIMP it looks like actual concrete the way it presumably should look. Is there any way I can adjust my settings to make it look like concrete ? PS I have searched for hours using the terms 17m , concrete, taxiway and runway and not found any replacement for i

Driffield Airfield Concrete Texture by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Yes I see this issue a lot with the older assets, This is a issue of the newer Trainz environmental lighting. I have fixed this issue by adjusting the .im file's color settings from all white down to a number of 127 for the left three options, and the right Specular at 12 and this makes the asset have a much better more real photo look. A lot of the older assets are of washed out colors in 2019 and 2022, they looked good in 2012. The is not the asset creator's fault, it is due to the change in the later Trainz Video engine. I have uploaded a lot of of assets to the DLS that were builtin and the older version 1.3 up to 3.7 and they look good in the later Trainz 2019, 2022.

I will take a look at the kuid:45317;105151 and see if I can get permissions from the original creator to repair this texture issue.
Cheers.

Very many thanks to you. I didn't think it was anything to do with the original asset because as I said the texture looks fine in explorer. I think the roofs on the hangars which are apartment block splines laid parallel also suffer from the same problem.

@Lewisner : If you contact me via my email address (should be in config file of the item) then I could sort out a concrete texture shade that suits you , I don't mind sorting out a few different shades for you to try ?

@Jon : Probably simpler if I release an updated 2019-22 version as a new kuid as updating the original would potentially cause problems for those still using older versions of Trainz and this would be no different to you releasing a version under your own kuid .
I'm currently working with Fudginator in TANE on an extended version of the Duchy Days and the affected spline has been used so I don't want to cause problems for us when we release the route .

@Lewisner : If you contact me via my email address (should be in config file of the item) then I could sort out a concrete texture shade that suits you , I don't mind sorting out a few different shades for you to try ?

@Jon : Probably simpler if I release an updated 2019-22 version as a new kuid as updating the original would potentially cause problems for those still using older versions of Trainz and this would be no different to you releasing a version under your own kuid .
I'm currently working with Fudginator in TANE on an extended version of the Duchy Days and the affected spline has been used so I don't want to cause problems for us when we release the route .

Hi , you're a star the concrete texture as it was in the original spline was perfect if it's possible to make that work in TS2019 and 22 (if I get 22 lol)

Yes that is a good idea to just re-upload it with your kuid. That way it will work for the older versions of Trainz. Maybe you need to create a new asset with the one that I adjusted and use that one for the newer Trainz Versions, and leave the original one for the older Trainz so it will not be to dark as the older Trainz render them differently.

If you want the Texture to look darker in the new Trainz 2019 and 2022 then use that .im and the texture file that I adjusted.
jjeff1955

Last edited:
I've sorted out another two versions which makes 3 with the version that Jon sent me .

In this screenshot taken in Trainz 22 from left to right :
#1 is Jon's version
#2 has the specular set as 12 as per Jon's post in this thread
#3 has the specular set at 127 which is half way between 0 black and 255 white (the original uses 255 white)
#4 is the original 2.9 build version .

The modified versions are all build 4.6 and have had the "Light 1" tag removed from their config files as it's flagged up red faulty .

I'll upload all 3 versions for you to try ?

52156849092_ada21195a7_h.jpg

Last edited:
I've sorted out another two versions which makes 3 with the version that Jon sent me .

In this screenshot taken in Trainz 22 from left to right :
#1 is Jon's version
#2 has the specular set as 12 as per Jon's post in this thread
#3 has the specular set at 127 which is half way between 0 black and 255 white (the original uses 255 white)
#4 is the original 2.9 build version .

The modified versions are all build 4.6 and have had the "Light 1" tag removed from their config files as it's flagged up red faulty .

I'll upload all 3 versions for you to try ?

52156849092_ada21195a7_h.jpg

Fabulous, thanks yet again ! If you are interested, this is an aerial view of the airfield when the nukes were stationed there https://www.militaryhistories.co.uk/emily/base/driffield
and this is a recent video of the remains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9KAXzEOlMM

I use a texture for runways and parking areas in Heathrow Airport. I then place grass splines to sharpen the edge area of the concrete. Textures allow for a mixture of cracked concrete and newish concrete to show older taxi ways and well-used ones.
Heathrow-airport-Expansion-for-runway-3-and-terminal-6.jpg

Quick query since you have your own airport - are there any splines of runway edge lights ? I've only found the lights as objects and since my airfield has 3 runways of 5500 feet each, with lights at 100 feet spacing I would have to place 330 of them.

Splines
<kuid2:58843:40058:1> Runway blue
<kuid2:58843:40057:1> Runway white
<kuid2:58843:40065:1> Runway blue 50
<kuid2:58843:40059:1> Runway flat white
<kuid2:58843:40056:1> Runway white/amber

Scenery
<kuid:58843:40054> Runway white
<kuid2:58843:40062:1> Runway flat green
<kuid:58843:40050> Runway blue
<kuid:58843:40061> Runway flat amber
<kuid:58843:40060> Runway flat blue
<kuid:58843:40055> Runway red/green
<kuid:58843:40063> Runway flat red
<kuid:58843:40051> Runway red

Both show as on DLS in Tane
<kuid:152080:20040> approach30m lights
<kuid2:152080:20040:1> approach30m lights

This one shows as on the DLS in TRS 19 and 22
<kuid:152080:20040> approach30m lights

This one shows as packaged in both TRS19 and 22
<kuid2:152080:20040:1> approach30m lights

A general view of the main runway at RAF Driffield. The airfield was known as a "Class A" airfield because the runways looked like an "A" from above and in case you ever wondered what those numbers at the end of the runway are, they are the compass bearing in degrees divided by 10 - so a 40 degree bearing is shown as "4".The parallel lines indicate the area where a plane must wait before being given permission to take off.

RAF Driffield Runways 23.6.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Last edited:
To save starting a new thread I want to ask another question here. I wanted green and red start and end lights for the runways and Airport - Lights Red of End Runway kuid:541259:100331 by gliuk28 looked good but despite clicking several times they wouldn't place. However when I set the lighting to darkness there they were, BUT I cannot move , raise or delete them despite trying all angles, they just won't budge. I could uninstall them and delete missing assets but even if I reinstalled them and put them down in the dark I couldn't turn them. Is there any way to get them working ?

Runway Lights Problem 4.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

The rotation point is very small. You need to aim at the middle light and also be just the right distance above it. Zoom in too close or not enough and you can't pick that point.

Back