Something odd happened today

jjslll54

Member since Nov 2001
I was expanding a golf course from nine to eighteen holes for my route and was noticing some stuttering as I moved around. I decided to lower my settings a bit to see if that would help. I exited surveyor and adjusted my settings. When I started Trainz 22 back and reloaded my route this is where the oddness happened. Some road work I had done today was no longer there and on the golf course some of the added tees and greens weren't there any more. All of the fairways that I drew with the paint tool were still there, but no trees or shrubs. It's like the course was drawn with random parts missing. I checked other areas of my route and they seemed okay. I tried using the backup file and no luck there. I'm not too worried about the stuttering as I do a lot of multitasking and if I turn off some of the programs the stuttering goes away. I'm running a Rysen 9 3900x with an RTX 2060, so I'm sure my multitasking is the culprit for that. Has anyone else run across this issue? It's not a save issue as the last thing I did before resetting was draw a fairway and it's still there. Just thought I would report this in case someone else has had this happen to them.

Jack

One obvious possibility here, and one that has often been raised in these forums but is always worth mentioning, is Route vs Session. Ground textures (fairway greens) are always saved in the route while most other visible assets can be saved in either. Check whether you saved those missing assets in a session but only reloaded the route after adjusting your screen settings.

My theory.

My theory is that positional data got corrupted for the new items - seems to often happen to splines. Had you persisted it probably would have crashed.

I've had this happen, seems rather random. Just carry on, and maybe export a copy of your route to a CDP at the end of each day as a backup.

I have had both pware's and frogpipe's description happen to me. Most of the time it's the session thing, but every once in a while, I'll get the corruption and a crash, then when you restart you get the revert changes dialog, once saved it goes back to normal for me, but you lose some from last save.

Your content gets backed up every time you modify anything. These backups are kept in the Backups folder where your Trainz data is located. Using Windows Explorer and Content Manager, you can restore your data. The folders are arranged by date.

Using Windows Explorer, open up the 22-06-13 folder and look for the .tzarc_some-sequence-number that's dated just a bit before you saved.

Copy that .tzarc file to your edit folder.
Rename the file by removing the _some-sequence-number

Open up Content Manager.

Backup your current version to a CDP. (This is a safety step in case things go terribly bad.)

Delete the route because you are replacing that file.

Run a database repair.

This will import your Trainz-created backup.

I avoid editing sessions unless it is specifically session related, for route editing I always edit the route, Save Route but don't save session, need one session for this to work otherwise you will forced to save a session.

There is a bug in the Ryzen bioses causing stuttering on some systems where fTPM is enabled which may be the cause of some stuttering https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410

Doesn't seem to have affected my system though, Ryzen7 3800X / Asus Prime B350 Plus.

Edit: Just had a Bios update to fix this issue although not affecting me, worth checking your motherboard manufacturer for bios updates.

Last edited:
I avoid editing sessions unless it is specifically session related, for route editing I always edit the route, Save Route but don't save session, need one session for this to work otherwise you will forced to save a session.

I use the same editing method and I have done that forever. It's methodical, procedural and modal which makes the planning and route creation easy. I think this is what was lost when UDS was added to the mix. UDS shortcuts this process which causes the hiccups we see amongst many users. The fact that route and session edits can be made in either mode along with the lack of differentiation between the different modes, causes confusion. Again, this is something we've asked for again and again that has been ignored. What is so difficult about adding in a colored banner such as a green indicator for routes and either blue or red for session editing? If the banner is one color or the other, we will know which mode we're in and not end up with the mess we have seen time and time again.

Curiously, my take for a while has been "If I click edit route, I should ONLY be able to edit the route", "If I click edit session, I should only be able to edit session"

Sounds like UDS is a step in the opposite direction.

"If I click edit route, I should ONLY be able to edit the route"

That part has always been correct.

"If I click edit session, I should only be able to edit session"

That part has never been correct. A session has always been dependent on a route so loading both gives you the opportunity to edit both.

Sounds like UDS is a step in the opposite direction.

The UDS adds the ability to edit a route and a session "on the fly" without having to terminate a running session to fix a problem and then have to restart the session from its start. This ability was the reason I went for TRS19 Platinum Edition instead of the TRS19 (standard edition) and it has saved me uncounted hours of development time. However, using the UDS to save your edits does take some discipline. If I jump from Driver into Surveyor using the UDS and make edits to the route (route data or route layers) then I only save the route, not the session. Editing the session (data or layers) requires more care but is still possible.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as the OP - splines and objects that were placed recently disappeared the next time I loaded the program. Here is one way objects and splines can get placed on the session layer and then disappear the next time you start trains. I worked with the QA Team to troubleshoot, and I finally figured it out. I then discussed it with the QA team and they agree with this.

It has to do with a known bug in Trainz+ in addition to using UDS. You can easily replicate this:

1-Add objects and splines on the route layer in Classic.
2-Switch to S2.0 to do something (or even nothing)
3-Switch back to Classic. What happens is that you now are on the session layer without you realizing it. This is what I call the return from S2.0 bug. I don't know what the QA team calls it.
4-Now in Classic you resume adding objects and splines which are now being placed on the session layer and you don't check the layer you are on because why should you?
5-Go into driver mode to see if the session is working.
6-Go back to Classic, do something, or just save. Because of UDS, you save the route, but not the session (which is usually the recommended option if you want to retain the starting positions of trains).
8-Reload the program and you discover that every object and spline you placed in that work session (after the return from S2.0 to Classic) was placed on the session layer without your knowledge and is now lost.

Until this is fixed, you need to remember to reselect the route layer every time you return from S2.0 to Classic. Selecting route layer in S2.0 will not prevent the problem - the default layer will be session after you return to Classic.

Last edited:
I use the same editing method and I have done that forever. It's methodical, procedural and modal which makes the planning and route creation easy. I think this is what was lost when UDS was added to the mix. UDS shortcuts this process which causes the hiccups we see amongst many users. The fact that route and session edits can be made in either mode along with the lack of differentiation between the different modes, causes confusion. Again, this is something we've asked for again and again that has been ignored. What is so difficult about adding in a colored banner such as a green indicator for routes and either blue or red for session editing? If the banner is one color or the other, we will know which mode we're in and not end up with the mess we have seen time and time again.

For reasons that have never been explained, applying different colors to help identify splines, layers , different Kuid types etc has never met with favour from NV3 , shame as it would make users lives much easier, but after all this time with us suggesting this development umpteen times I guess it's not going to happen, the last time I submitted the concept to suggestions it didn't even make it the forum.

Back