We don't need better PC hardware, we need better PC games

Trainz is a game, and a simulator. You have the creativity to build whatever you want like that of a sandbox game, and a way to realistically drive the stuff you made and other’s creations.

I consider it a game. Not a shoot 'em up game, but a game none the less. It sure takes a good "gaming" computer to run!

Still wants me to beg the question, what do I really gain going from TRS2019 to TRS2022, is it a better PC game than TRS2019? The obvious that is going to be said is newer, better support, blah blah blah, but what really?

Still wants me to beg the question, what do I really gain going from TRS2019 to TRS2022, is it a better PC game than TRS2019? The obvious that is going to be said is newer, better support, blah blah blah, but what really?

Realistically slightly few undocumented features, slightly better performance on some hardware. On older machines with less bandwidth between the CPU and GPU TS19 maybe better it depends where the bottlenecks are. Mesh table LOD for scenery objects I think is improved and a few assets that are TS22 such as Dintdale road. For UK users Dintdale road worth the money to upgrade to TS22.

Cheerio John

The questions raised by the article is not whether TRS22 is good value for money or should anyone upgrade from TRS19 to TRS22 but is having to upgrade hardware to be able to run the latest games (or indeed the likes of Trainz) sustainable or a realistic business model. There is little difference in the system requirements of TRS22 than T-ANE however without reducing the drawing distance, water and shadow quality etc. we have not been able to appreciate in many instances the advantages gained from these later editions. In other words if we want all those sliders to the right, perhaps we need to upgrade that hardware, and with a reasonable GPU's at £400+, Windows 11 only compatible with half our systems, perhaps this article has a valid point. Peter

The questions raised by the article is not whether TRS22 is good value for money or should anyone upgrade from TRS19 to TRS22 but is having to upgrade hardware to be able to run the latest games (or indeed the likes of Trainz) sustainable or a realistic business model. There is little difference in the system requirements of TRS22 than T-ANE however without reducing the drawing distance, water and shadow quality etc. we have not been able to appreciate in many instances the advantages gained from these later editions. In other words if we want all those sliders to the right, perhaps we need to upgrade that hardware, and with a reasonable GPU's at £400+, Windows 11 only compatible with half our systems, perhaps this article has a valid point. Peter

I have all the sliders to the right, on a GTX 1080 & i7 4790K w/32GB RAM and 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. Not ready to buy new hardware yet.

A few days ago, Tony made the official post for the release of the retail version of TRS22, part of which I have reposted below.

When this journey began over 20 years ago, 3D graphics were new on the scene and we thought Trainz looked incredible!

Trainz_v1a.jpg

And now, our trains and worlds are looking more realistic than ever.

2022-05-31_141805a.png

I'm sure that in another 20 years, it will be very difficult to tell the difference between a photo and an in-game screenshot.

The two screenshots tell most of the story of the last 20 years. That has largely been the result of advances in computer hardware and the software to take advantages of those changes.

My thoughts.

pdkoester: Absolutely no need to upgrade your current hardware for smooth running of TRS22 with all the sliders to the right (except maybe Post Processing - set that to 'Low' to avoid unwelcome distortions) for maximum enjoyment.
The current TrainzPlus PC version runs better on my desktop hardware (specs same as yours) than any previous build. Fewer faulties and other issues too. (Even better on the ROG Strix gaming laptop with RTX-3070)
Have transferred most of my DIY routes and sessions from T:ANE and TRS19 and create new ones exclusively in TRS22 now. Absolutely loving it!

Back