Moreton Sugar mill plans?

Hi all, I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask. Im looking for maps and trackage diagrams of the Moreton Sugar mill (RIP) in Nambour QLD Australia. I found a few bad photos of the complex but nothing in the way of a track plan or building plan of the Mill complex. I am hoping someone out there has it squirrled away on their hard drive.
Thank you in advance.

Hi all, I figure this is as good of a place as any to ask. Im looking for maps and trackage diagrams of the Moreton Sugar mill (RIP) in Nambour QLD Australia. I found a few bad photos of the complex but nothing in the way of a track plan or building plan of the Mill complex. I am hoping someone out there has it squirrled away on their hard drive.
Thank you in advance.

I didn't find any photos of the mill but some of the track is still in place in central Nambour and you can follow it on Google maps until it disappears near the bridge in Bli Bli crossing the Maroochy river. Maybe you saw that already. The actual track disappears shortly after departing Howard St but the outline is visible for a long way. At the western end the track disappears into the block on the corner of Mill St and Mill Lane. One could safely assume the mill was there. :D The Nambour Station is just across the road so I guess they transported cane from the flat lands around Bli Bli and east into Nambour for processing before sending it south. Nambour is quite hilly in parts. I've driven through there a few times.

You still see active sugar trains in Queensland but mostly much further north. There is one near Port Douglas on the road from Cairns to Port Douglas that I look out for when we go up there for a holiday.

You might e-mail the Nambour Museum and ask if they have any photos.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, No doubt you've checked the Wikipedia site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreton_Central_Sugar_Mill_Cane_Tramway

This has a lot of information, a few photos and a map of the tramway through town.

Cheers, Roy

Hi all.
Yes, I have great video and plans for Howard street area. Data is really lacking on the track and building layout in the Moreton Sugar mill itself.

Hi, You got my interest with this having lived that way a few years back and remembering the cane trains running down the street to the mill.

I had a bit of a dig around and found a few things that may help (although can't find any track plans).

A new article with a bit of background: https://www.sunshinecoastnews.com.au/2021/11/05/when-sugarcane-ruled/
A few photos on Flickr with this aerial view of the mill: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davemurchie/9014007543/in/photostream/
The main north-south rail line can be seen running from bottom left (northbound) to middle right (southbound). The photo itself is fairly high res and you can get a bit of detail zooming in (even in a browser).

Hope this helps

Back