TANE - disable, delete or keep

stouthm

Get over it
I haven't used Tane since I went to TS19. I don't see ever going back to it hence my question. If I delete it will there be any consequences regarding TS19? What is the preferred method of getting it off my computer or at least disabling it? Could free up some space.

I faced the same dilemma. Ultimately I stopped using T:ANE so took the whole thing onto a separate hard drive off the pc thus freeing up space. It did not affect TRS19 one bit. This assumes of course that both 19 and TANE are using separate folders. Personally I would not delete, but move to somewhere off the comp like a usb stick or something, you never know if in the future you will go back to it. After moving TANE run it from the new location, if it runs ok then you can feel safe in removing it from your pc. Would always recommend running a db repair afterwards.

Some here may suggest other ways to accommodate your question, I am no expert n these matters.

Last edited:
I realize the advantages of saving space, but in my case, I have kept T:ANE installed with the build folder on an external hard drive. I use it fairly often when looking for hard to find KUIDs, checking to see if they are ones I have because I searched for it in the past. It is often very helpful, especially in cases where third-party sites have gone away.

I haven't used Tane since I went to TS19. I don't see ever going back to it hence my question. If I delete it will there be any consequences regarding TS19? What is the preferred method of getting it off my computer or at least disabling it? Could free up some space.

If you made any custom assets or clones, ie routes, sessions, scenery, whatever. Save them as .CDP files, maybe on a thumbdrive. After that, IMO, delete it all. You can always re-download TANE from your My Trainz webpage then drop in your .CDP files.

The .CDP files seem to drop into TRS19 and TRS22 from my experience without issues for the most part.

One additional consideration, 3rd party content. Make sure you have backups or access to re-download.

Last edited:
Personally I have T:ane, TRS19 and TRS22 all installed and working. It's very useful to test my contents and the space they use is not so great (in my pc the three all together amounted to abt 50GB)

I did what Forester1 did and kept that setup for about a year "just in case". Since this was the same data I moved forward into TRS19, I probably didn't need it but this backup set was a good test setup to test things in case I found some anomalies with content. I have since deleted that setup and have done the same with TRS19 which I keep until I no longer go back to which will probably be for about a year.

Don't you have some Tane routes that don't work 100% in TRS19? I have '19 and '22 but some Tane routes I still run in Tane.

Back