Can't update my session

Hi, all!

The session I'm working on has been... How shall I say ? ... stuck for the last few days. Whenever I change something - anything - Surveyor stubbornly refuses to record the changes when I save the session.
Even a "Save As..." ( an attempt to create a session incorporating the changes ) won't work : it will save the old session, the one before the changes. Frustrating, oooh...

Have you any idea? Thanks in advance.

Thierry

There's a possibility that the session is corrupt and won't save. You can restore a previous version by going back a few days and restoring the version that worked.

The backups are located in your data folder under backups. There's a folder for each day in this format YY-MM-DD and these are accessible through Windows Explorer.

What you need to do is:

1) Go into Content Manager and save your current session to a CDP.
2) Once saved, delete the session in Content Manager.

3) Go into Windows Explorer and find the date-folder prior to when you had a problem.
4) Open the folder.

You will see other folders but ignore those because they're useless.

You will see a bunch of .tzarc files. Some may have a sequence number after the extension.

Sessions are the smallest of these files in case you did some route editing as well. It also helps to remember the KUID for your extension.

5) After finding the date and time where the session saved, copy that .tzarc file and paste that in your editing folder.

You may have to rename the file to remove the _ and numbers to only leave the .tzarc extension.

6) Once you are done, go back into Content Manager and run a DBR.

This DBR will restore your session back in which should work.

I probably shouldn't say this BUT:

Hi, all!

The session I'm working on has been... How shall I say ? ... stuck for the last few days. Whenever I change something - anything - Surveyor stubbornly refuses to record the changes when I save the session.
Even a "Save As..." ( an attempt to create a session incorporating the changes ) won't work : it will save the old session, the one before the changes. Frustrating, oooh...

Have you any idea? Thanks in advance.

Thierry

it almost sounds like a WINDOWS problem where one has to " Run as Administrator " otherwise one can't make changes???

Ignore me if I'm being stupid!

Wild Willy the Wacko

@J. Citron:
Thanks, John. You're certainly right but today I'm busy. I'll try to-morrow and I'll keep you aware.

@Wild Willy:
That's not stupid, of course, but I don't think that's it.

@J. Citron:
I followed your advice. But I still have a problem : the restored session appears in CM but not in Surveyor.

I've found the relevant page in the N3V documentation, so I'll retry.
Thanks to you all and specially to J. Citron for putting me on the right track.

Last edited:
Can't do that. CM tells me that the file is in use somewhere else.
I'll rebuild my session but it's a pity because J. Citron's idea looked promising.

This doesn't sound right. There's something else going on. Is TRS19 closed down when you tried this?

Not wanting to hijack this thread, I would like to report something similar. Maybe it helps. An edited session cannot be saved.

After updating TRS19 via builds 114800 and 116678 to SP5, build 117009, one of my sessions now always starts with a missing driver. I then leave Driver, go to Surveyor > Session layer to edit the session. In Edit Session I assign the driver to the loco, click the checkmarks to exit the Driver commands rule, and save the session under the same name.

When I start the session in Driver, the loco is again driverless. It's still the unchanged version.
Another AI train in the session has retained its driver and is running according to instructions.

Hitherto, the session had performed faultlessly.

Oh, and JCitron, I tried your recovery procedure, but couldn't get any further than 4). The kuid of the session is 856826:100123, but there was no .tzarc file for that kuid.
I reinstalled the .cdp; the missing driver is still missing.
I will try a DBR nonetheless, and post the outcome.

You might try making the changes, but not using UDS. In a different post, I reported strange behavior with driver names in UDS.

I wasn't using the unified driver/surveyor, @pitkin, but your warning is certainly justified.

And reporting back on the current situation: in Surveyor, I replaced the offending train's engine with another one, assigned a driver, and saved the session under the same name. When I relaunched the session in Driver, the formerly driverless train took off according to its schedule. Problem gone, but it is unsatisfactory not to know what caused it.

Back