How to start off a electricized line in trainz?

How do you electrify a route?

There are catenary assets available to put the overhead wires up over the tracks. These are non-functional, meaning they're there to look pretty. There are tons of them too which means you need to pick and choose a set that looks good. The tricky part is getting pantographs on the locomotives to line up and touch the overhead wires because there's a bit of a disconnect between what the scripts do versus the height that the content creators set the wires at. You'll need to experiment with that until you find something that works. I recommend setting up a blank "test" route and put down the various assets.

Speaking of assets, some are simple splines with the poles attached while others are scenery object that have wire bits and poles and work like fixed track objects such as track spacers. You put these down and attach the track to them and they put the wires up right over the tracks. Others are spline-wires but use track-objects for the poles and other hardware. These are pretty easy to work with just like the all-inclusive sets with poles and wires attached.

Now, once you've chosen what you want, you need to place them, and this is where the tedious parts happen. I've spent hours and even days setting up a small route and then hours afterwards fiddling with things because wires aren't connected properly. Once everything is in place though, it looks pretty nice.

2019-08-31 235541.jpg

Hi PivBoi --

Normal line to electrified line? Basically with guts, determination, blood, sweat and tears. I can assure you it is not an easy process, at least to begin with.

Be aware there is no standardized height for the locomotive pantograph and the catenary wire. You will have to choose ones that work together.

I've done several electrified routes and layouts. A couple are DLC, some are on the Download Station. This is the latest that I'm working on, which may eventually be part of the N3V TMR2 release, if it ever comes to fruition (the TMR2 that is, not the layout). Best watched full screen and at 1080p:

I have several other videos on youtube.

It uses Download Station content by emges:
Old 1t pole -- trackside accessory.
Old 1t pole -- spline.
Old endpole -- structure.
Catenary wire -- spline.

As John suggests above, do some experimentation before you embark on a more ambitious route. Maybe set up a short route with a few curves and switches.

Good luck,
Phil

Hello Members,

Just a suggestion:
It would be handy if one could create a rail track kuid dependency that automatically draws an overhead catenary wire with a gantry every so often.
So in Surveyor one stretches the spline track and gantries are automatically drawn along the line.
By memory this modelling feature did appear in other brand Train simulator products.
Also the Trainz program should be modified so that when running an Electric overhead powered locomotive and strays onto an unelectrified track path then the locomotive should theoretically cut out on battery discharge.
Cheers
Mike Davies

Hello Members,

Just a suggestion:
It would be handy if one could create a rail track kuid dependency that automatically draws an overhead catenary wire with a gantry every so often.
So in Surveyor one stretches the spline track and gantries are automatically drawn along the line.
By memory this modelling feature did appear in other brand Train simulator products.
Also the Trainz program should be modified so that when running an Electric overhead powered locomotive and strays onto an unelectrified track path then the locomotive should theoretically cut out on battery discharge.
Cheers
Mike Davies

There are some track assets that have that feature but there are issues with it that I can't recall. I do remember seeing the catenary applied to the track in the old MSTS when a checkbox was enabled to indicate the line was electrified while in the editor.

This is used to place a third rail along some track for electrification or dual gauge. I wonder if this would work by replacing the track with a proper-height catenary or trolley wire.

attached-splines
{
third-rail
{
follows-spline-gradient 1
lateral-offset 2
spline-kuid <kuid:61015:37032>
use-same-direction 1
visual-only 0
}

By changing the lateral offset to zero (zed), this will place the wire right over the track.

I have done this, and I have a couple more suggestions.
1-When choosing a catenary spline, in addition to the proper height, look for a spline that has both a single track version and a matching double track version. I like "Catenary RO Single" and "Catenary RO Double"
2-Layout the catenary spline parallel but not yet on top of the track. Match the spline points of the catenary to the spline points of the track, and also match the "straighten spline" to the "straighten track".
3-When you are satisfied with the layout of the catenary, pull the spline points of the catenary onto the spline points of the track (for single track), or centered between the spline points (for double track).
4-You will likely need additional catenary spline points on sharper curves so that more poles appear.
5-Transitioning from single track to double track will require some effort to make it look good - a matter of practice and trial and error.

I could've said the some of the same things as schweitzerdude, but I'm going to add on to this. I know this might be slightly off topic, but if you ever want to do the "high speed rail" stuff (for high speed electric trains only - TGV, ICE, etc.), you would need special concrete high speed tracks, ultramodern bridges/elevated lines in certain areas, special tunnels, and noise barriers on both sides of the double track high speed lines. You might do some research on this one, but that can be for later.

Back