Trainz not saving in surveyor but showing work in driver only

kaw4014

This same problem has been plaquing me since the beginning and by now I'm quite mad. I did a lot of work yesterday on a route that I made (I mainly added TRC crossing across the map - this will come up later), saved it, and turned off the computer. I came back today and all of my work was gone in Surveyor. It was like I didn't save - BUT I DID! But wait there's more; I can go to Driver Mode and drive the newest session and all of my work is there. Every bit. I switch into Surveyor, and it's gone. This same thing happened to me before, but the entire route was deleted except the textures and the terrain. And the same thing happens on that route - I'll go into Driver and each session has only every asset I placed on that day or on that time I saved the route. I lost an entire route to this bug or whatever this is - I'm not losing this new one.

Things I've tried:
Zooming all the way out to map view and zooming back in - nothing
Driving newest session - (explained above)
Looking at layers - The only layers are the route layer and session layer (everything is on the route layer and the route layer is visible)
Crying - no effect
Exiting game - no effect
Praying - no effect
Looking at Manage Content > Routes > List Dependencies > Searching for "TRC" - there was no TRC crossings in MC
Yelling at my computer angrily - hurt my throat and no effect
Saving in Driver and going to Surveyor - no effect

Please help me!

When you say you're going into surveyor - are you editing the route or the session?

Additionally, do you have a version of trainz with UDS?

He doesn't have the UDS, but the symptom sounds like a layers issue.

Editing must've been done in a route layer and a session layer and now things are confused.

I always work modally.

All route stuff is done in the Surveyor edit route.

When it comes time to place trains and setup industries, I create a base session and use that for driver commands, setups, consists and configuration of industries and portals, or anything else that requires setup post route-building. I've worked this way since the early days and rarely have a problem with this.

When you say you're going into surveyor - are you editing the route or the session?

Additionally, do you have a version of trainz with UDS?

I am editing the route. And I have placed everything in Edit route Surveyor Mode on the Route layer.

Is there any way to get my work back?

I think it's very likely that somehow your work has ended up on the session layer.

Go into "edit session", see if it's there.

This has happened a few times to me and I found a workaround.

When working on a route, I always save the route with a new session (I name the session with that day's date and a single letter suffix so if I do multiple edits, I get multiple dated sessions, eg. 27 05a, 27 05b, etc). The next time I open the route and discover my previous day's work has disappeared, I go back and edit the last session saved. So far, what I was working on before appears there and then it's a case of merging the session into the route layer and you get your missing items back on your route layer.

If you're only saving a default session, I'd suggest you edit the most recent one and hopefully you'll find your work there.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Innis

This has happened a few times to me and I found a workaround.

When working on a route, I always save the route with a new session (I name the session with that day's date and a single letter suffix so if I do multiple edits, I get multiple dated sessions, eg. 27 05a, 27 05b, etc). The next time I open the route and discover my previous day's work has disappeared, I go back and edit the last session saved. So far, what I was working on before appears there and then it's a case of merging the session into the route layer and you get your missing items back on your route layer.

If you're only saving a default session, I'd suggest you edit the most recent one and hopefully you'll find your work there.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Innis

I'll try and start doing this, thanks.

When working on a route, I always save the route with a new session (I name the session with that day's date and a single letter suffix so if I do multiple edits, I get multiple dated sessions, eg. 27 05a, 27 05b, etc).

While that sounds like a good and sensible workaround, it does not solve the problem of why this is happening. In all my years of using Trainz in many different versions I have never experienced this problem. I have sometimes experienced other (sometimes serious) problems when using beta versions but that is always the risk when you agree to be a beta tester (the fear, cold sweats, panic reactions are all additional "benefits" :D).

To kaw4014, your timeline simply states TRS19. What is your version build number (bottom left of the launcher window) and OS (MacOS, Win 7, 8, 10,11)? If you are using a Mac, what is its version?

While that sounds like a good and sensible workaround, it does not solve the problem of why this is happening. In all my years of using Trainz in many different versions I have never experienced this problem. I have sometimes experienced other (sometimes serious) problems when using beta versions but that is always the risk when you agree to be a beta tester (the fear, cold sweats, panic reactions are all additional "benefits" :D).

To kaw4014, your timeline simply states TRS19. What is your version build number (bottom left of the launcher window) and OS (MacOS, Win 7, 8, 10,11)? If you are using a Mac, what is its version?

Build # is 117026 and I have a Windows 10 Pro

I'm not sure N3V are going to do a fix on TRS19 now that TRS22 is on the verge of release.

That said, it rarely happens, but at least I know what to do if it does. I'm pretty certain it wasn't happening until the last TRS19 update.

Back