Small route merging rant.

Hi Piere,

Thanks for the tip on Surveyor 2.0 I haven't tried that yet.

Unfortunately, for built-ins and DLC, copying and pasting assets is not allowed.

I agree on the other points.

Hi Piere,

Unfortunately, for built-ins and DLC, copying and pasting assets is not allowed.

G'day John,

I hope the info about Surveyor 2 helps. Boy could I have used THAT in the past! ;)

Re: copying and pasting, yes, another frustration for the reason's we've discussed. I'm going to have to do it (or TRY to do it) the old fashioned way, by reproducing the main parts.

Here are my first efforts at West Clyde Logging, compared to the original.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Unfortunately I'll never be able to properly reproduce the terrain and flora as that's way more effort than I'm prepared to do. My lighting is harsher and the trees different in particular as I have already merged the LotBN I with the Switchback's BN Oasis route, but I might come back and re-think the trees at a later date.

Cheers,
Piere.

Unfortunately I'll never be able to properly reproduce the terrain and flora as that's way more effort than I'm prepared to do. My lighting is harsher and the trees different in particular as I have already merged the LotBN I with the Switchback's BN Oasis route, but I might come back and re-think the trees at a later date.
Cheers,
Piere.

Wow, do we share a brain? I too merged both LoBN's with BN Oasis! I call it the Great Northern, and I replaced all the track with TSM track. Great minds think alike! :hehe:

Wow, do we share a brain? I too merged both LoBN's with BN Oasis! I call it the Great Northern, and I replaced all the track with TSM track. Great minds think alike! :hehe:

We all share the same brain!

I just merged the BN Oasis into my LoBN I, LoBN II, Eagle River mashup with extras. I found that the route merged fairly well at the far end of the LoBN I. I moved my "Tacoma" portal to the end of the BN Oasis. I then changed the track to match mine, did some extra signaling and added speed limit signs, but other than that not much else was needed.

I connected the Eagle River where the dead ended spur is across from the branch to the power plant on LoBN II. I worked in the branch into a tunnel and then along the shore and into Beaver Lake. I have since added other branches and more complex operations out of there and on the Eagle River with the theme being the same and kept consistent. This is one of those routes that works well. The AI have their, mostly through traffic, duties except for the power plant run, and I do the rest of the driving including switching and log pickups at the far end of the Eagle River.

As Piere said, I wish we had the copy, paste capabilities we have in Surveyor 2.0 before. That will definitely help with my planned updates and blending of terrain in many locations where things just don't look quite right.

No to hijack the topic, but are LotBN I and LotBN II significantly different routes? I thought maybe II was just an update of I. But then someone mentioned the other day that maybe I was freeware? I am interested in doing what you all are doing, if I don't hash the whole thing. I have II and the Oasis.

We all share the same brain!

I just merged the BN Oasis into my LoBN I, LoBN II, Eagle River mashup with extras. I found that the route merged fairly well at the far end of the LoBN I. I moved my "Tacoma" portal to the end of the BN Oasis. I then changed the track to match mine, did some extra signaling and added speed limit signs, but other than that not much else was needed.

I connected the Eagle River where the dead ended spur is across from the branch to the power plant on LoBN II. I worked in the branch into a tunnel and then along the shore and into Beaver Lake. I have since added other branches and more complex operations out of there and on the Eagle River with the theme being the same and kept consistent. This is one of those routes that works well. The AI have their, mostly through traffic, duties except for the power plant run, and I do the rest of the driving including switching and log pickups at the far end of the Eagle River.

I put mine in a way that made sense. BN Oasis starts at the fictional town of Scott, WA and runs to the abandoned spur at LoBN 2. I added a nice wye and had the track either go to Wellington, WA or to Vernon, WA. About a 1/4th of a mile from Vernon, WA I added a wye to the pre-existing spur and that lead into LoBN 1.

I'm still having trouble merging in Eagle River. It'll take a short time to merge everything else but Eagle River takes in indefinite amount of time and doesn't even merge completely. May try again.

I put mine in a way that made sense. BN Oasis starts at the fictional town of Scott, WA and runs to the abandoned spur at LoBN 2. I added a nice wye and had the track either go to Wellington, WA or to Vernon, WA. About a 1/4th of a mile from Vernon, WA I added a wye to the pre-existing spur and that lead into LoBN 1.

I'm still having trouble merging in Eagle River. It'll take a short time to merge everything else but Eagle River takes in indefinite amount of time and doesn't even merge completely. May try again.

That merger makes sense too. It's at that abandoned branch that merged in the Eagle River. Even at that location, it took me a few tries to get the merger to come out the way I wanted it. I spent a lot of time afterwards blending and smoothing the landscape to get everything to work how I wanted it. I ended up doing some abandoning and smoothing of a couple of curves not unlike what the BN has done to a few lines or what CP-Rail did to the old Milwaukee Road east of Miles City which is actually where I got the idea from as I was following the route one day on Google Earth. The smoothed-out curves allow for some quicker running which helps a lot since the two routes together run about 90 minutes end to end.

No to hijack the topic, but are LotBN I and LotBN II significantly different routes? I thought maybe II was just an update of I. But then someone mentioned the other day that maybe I was freeware? I am interested in doing what you all are doing, if I don't hash the whole thing. I have II and the Oasis.

LoBN 1 is just a more unfinished version, with older textures, track, etc. It's pretty much the same except that West Clyde log plant is gone and Forest Lake siding is gone, plus a few minor changes at Vernon and Wellington. The route is free at JointedRail but the locomotives are not.

Hi Piere,

I thought you can still copy and paste in a built-in/DLC route. But you cant save it as a scrapbook and use it in other routes.

I thought you can still copy and paste in a built-in/DLC route. But you cant save it as a scrapbook and use it in other routes.

Copying does appear to work but yeah, the thing we need the most does not, including merging.

Yeah, in reviewing this thread I guess it is a non-starter for me. I bought the LotBNII from N3V instead of JR. I understand N3V protecting their vendors, but in this case, they actually disable something allowed by the vendor, So a little bit of a downgrade in some respects. I will probably go straight to JR for routes in the future.

a bit incorrect

Wrong. You bought the license to put the route in the game and use it as is. You don't own the route.

In TRS19's advertising, it is specifically advertised that "now you can edit payware routes and upload them to the dls" or something along those lines. With this logic in mind you should be able to merge routes, sense you are able to do practically everything else in the editing menu, including uploading payware routes.

In TRS19's advertising, it is specifically advertised that "now you can edit payware routes and upload them to the dls" or something along those lines. With this logic in mind you should be able to merge routes, sense you are able to do practically everything else in the editing menu, including uploading payware routes.
You can only upload an alias of a payware route. If you update the original route, or remove it from your system, the aliased route no longer works.

You can edit and upload a payware route to the DLS as a new route but the original (unedited) payware route must remain on your system (and enabled) and it must also be on the systems (and enabled) of any user who downloads your edited payware route. The problem with the merging process is that it deletes the payware protection from a payware route. So once merged, an uploaded payware route can be downloaded and installed by users who do not have the original payware on their system.

The problem with the merging process is that it deletes the payware protection from a payware route. So once merged, an uploaded payware route can be downloaded and installed by users who do not have the original payware on their system.

That issue seems to be an oversight from the developer's end. It shouldn't delete the payware protection, instead it needs to recognize that a payware route was merged in and not allow DLS uploads.

So with the C&O Hinton route, there's no way to merge a blank DEM to Huntington, WV on to it? In 19? But, can you add your own blank baseboards and save it? But the New River route in general has a lot of mountains that would be hard to replicate by hand. The New River route built in does not go all the way to Huntington which is where the annual fall excursion trains (pulled by Amtrak diesels since 1995) start. They always go to Hinton and back. I would like to try merging Eagle River with one of the BN routes, like John did. Are both BN routes free? I already made an edit to Eagle River at the Beaver Cove end, I added on baseboards and extended the track around a curve and made the road go over the tracks on a bridge, I used the flatten land tool to flatten the land under the track. I wanted to create a storage yard for passenger coaches and stuff. I could make the interchange with the BN (BNSF now) past that.

Last edited:
Back