Stormy Weather

Can't pretend the sky looks good in any form at any time of day. It still relies on a very outdated method used nowhere since DOS. it is one of the worst graphical offenders left in Trainz. Now it becomes a goal to hide it with a solid color or be forced to look at smeared flat clouds that appear to be 100m overhead or a few fuzzy stars repeated across a few triangles at night. How exciting.

Just addressing the sky/stmosphere/weather would do more for the way the sim looks (and by far what makes this attractive to new users) than any amount of fiddling with code nobody can see or multiplaying surveyor.

hHuSkZK5LcO.jpg

Can't pretend the sky looks good in any form at any time of day. It still relies on a very outdated method used nowhere since DOS. it is one of the worst graphical offenders left in Trainz. Now it becomes a goal to hide it with a solid color or be forced to look at smeared flat clouds that appear to be 100m overhead or a few fuzzy stars repeated across a few triangles at night. How exciting.

Just addressing the sky/stmosphere/weather would do more for the way the sim looks (and by far what makes this attractive to new users) than any amount of fiddling with code nobody can see or multiplaying surveyor.

I absolutely agree with you here Justin; my comment was specifically in relation to the changes of lighting for different weather conditions (which I do agree could be further improved, but there is a good scope for variability in sessions now). The skies themselves were what I found that was available that fitted the themes of the sessions; but a modern system for them would of course be much much better.

Honestly I couldn't care less about incredible amounts of detail and having amazing shading and whatnot. I just want the game to be fun and pleasing.
Does anyone remember that surveyor "cheat code" for spawning a giant thunder strike that would destroy buildings, make a hole in the ground and start a fire? Easter eggs and features like that I'd love to see.
(P.S. Does anyone actually have the code? I've lost it lol)

You took the words right out of my brain!

Perhaps I am missing something.

I remember the stormy weather back in TS2010/12 being really beautiful. No matter the time of day it got very dark, you would be able to see lightning flashes and the thunder was always nice and loud. It was one of my favorite situations to drive in.

I've been (finally) changing the weather in 2022 and the "stormy" setting is.... super underwhelming? It's basically the same as the normal rain with occasional booms of thunder. No darkness, no lightning flashes. Am I missing something? Is there a way to go back to the classic stormy weather? Even if it's a bit of a janky way? Why did this even get changed in the first place?

These words:

"I remember the stormy weather back in TS2010/12 being really beautiful. No matter the time of day it got very dark, you would be able to see lightning flashes and the thunder was always nice and loud. It was one of my favorite situations to drive in."

The actual lightening bolts and then the clouds that would light-up like there was a bolt behind them at night were assume! Then, again, I was always a fan of thunder storms I would stay up at night to watch out the window at God's fireworks display!

I thank you for this post, Soap!

Wild Willy the Wacko

By the way, the question is how to make the shadows turn off in cloudy and cloudy weather? And then there are clouds in the game, but from shadow objects like from the sun

I would like to see weather in TRS 2022, it would not have to be as complex as the new weather engine in X-Plane 12. Am sure real train operators don't shut down their engines at the first sign of rain.

I don't remember the actual codes, but if one goes to ANY passenger station and carefully zooms in on the guy reading a newspaper, they are printed on that.

Back