What is going on with brake handles??

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
I found nothing in a search, but I've been away and if this has been discussed a link to that discussion would be appreciated.

The "this" being the lack of coordination between the 2D slider, the cab brake handle, and in some cases reality.

I'm specifically looking at non-selflapping brakes.

Move the handle, and it travels thru 5 positions: Release, Lap, Full, Emergency, Suppression.

Move the 2D slider: Release, Initial->percentages<-Full, Suppression, Emergency (Last 2 reversed, and percentage positions like self lapping)

I dug thru the interior config, and the engine spec, tried trainbrake_lever and trainbrakelap_lever, zeroed out brakeinitial and brakefull in the engine spec.

Nothing will make the controls behave properly, and I checked a couple different locomotives finding the same results.

I know there tends to be a focus on modern equipment (and therefore self lapping brakes) but has the towel been thrown in on older systems completely? I'm pretty sure vacuum brakes are never happening - the tags have been around for a long time but they are unused per the wiki.

Is scripting the only answer? If I'm off base, can someone set me straight?

Last edited:
Hello frogpipe, I have had a lot of issues with braking system myself.:eek:
I spent hours working with the engine spec config files, and it did not seem to change the braking performance any.

I did find that if I want the Train Diesel to stop at a reasonable distance, I had to lower the weight (mass) of the vehicle, if to heavy it will not stop when the brakes are fully applied.

Maybe a bug report can be put in to have the Engine Specs config perform better with the Braking effects.

Last edited:
No offense, but thats not at all the topic here. The topic here is the behavior of the controls, not the performance of the brakes themselves.

Hello frogpipe. Had you tried swap the notches values like you desire?
"Move the 2D slider: Release, Initial->percentages<-Full, Suppression, Emergency"
->>

trainbrakelap_lever
{
kind "lever"
mesh "train_brake_lap_lever.im"
att "a.train_brake_lap_lever"
(...)
notches 0,0.25,0.5,1,0.75
(...)
}

Have a try.

Back