NSWGR 46 Class Electric Loco

alpha777

Hi Everyone, I am just asking if there is anyone who knows the original livery of the 46 class. Some how the livery doesn't seem right to me, I was 7 or 8 yrs old when they first made an appearance in Lithgow and our back fence was the railway line. I remember the first ones being maroon with a wide crimson stripe around the mid section with an oval coat of arms half way along the stripe. That is not the way they appear here. Can anyone shed some light for me.

Cheers,

Alpha 777.

On the DLS there are livery variations available for the 46-class model. You don't state the KUID of the asset to which you refer, so it is unclear whether you simply have not installed the asset with the livery you desire. The asset you want might be:
<kuid2:73150:100307:6> 'NSWGR 46 class Orginal [SIC] Colours TANE TS12 SP1/HF4'.

Last edited:
Hi ElStoko, I have down loaded all the variations of the 46 class and even the one you refer to doesn't match my memory of the original livery. I haven't been able to find any photos from that era so I don't know if I am right or wrong. I just thought there might be someone who remembered the class when they first arrived.

Rather than rely on memory, here is a colour image of 4615 at Katoomba in June 1957 just after electrification had opened. I also have an image of 3 46-class in 1961 with the same livery.

4615-Katoomba-June-1957.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks ElStoko, That answers my question, it must be my memory. Can you tell me if there is any way to change the height of the pantograph as it extends higher the catenary wires? By the way your signals are great, thanks for your work.

Cheers, Alpha777.

Last edited:
Panto height versus the height of the contact wire in Trainz models is a fraught issue. The loco creator may have a particular catenary asset in mind when setting the panto-up height, or he may have a notion of setting it at a typical height used on the real railway system that the loco ran on. It is possible to write script for the loco that allows the user to set the panto-up height over the range of the panto animation. Unfortunately, this is not available for the 46-class assets on the DLS.

For the catenary I was using for a NSW electrified project, I found that the 46-class panto made good contact with the catenary when its animation was limited to 70% of its full height. So I created a personal-use modification to the 46-class where the user could specify the panto-up height as a percentage of the animation full height. Unless nswgr46class or ad602000 agrees, I can't make this modification available on the DLS. One of them may be reading this thread and might express his view.

Back